Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Intermediate Lessons

Merekat
New in Town

Intermediate Lessons

Postby Merekat » May 26th, 2008 10:45 pm

I would personally love to see an intermediate series. My level of German is such that the beginner lessons are too easy, and the Advanced Audio Blogs are too hard. Something in the middle would be really great - something like the intermediate series on JapanesePod.

Danke schön für alles!

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » May 27th, 2008 6:58 am

You are in luck, we will be releasing an intermediate series soon. Please stay tuned!

Get 40% OFF
Varazzeno
New in Town

Intermediate Lesson

Postby Varazzeno » June 2nd, 2008 3:16 am

You said that it will be tought through music? Does this mean the entire itermediate series will be tought through music or will it be a a miniseries within the intermediate lessons?

P.S. I have noticed many people writing in german and specifically using Umlauts. Can you type these on a standard american keyboard? If so how?

[/i][/b]

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » June 2nd, 2008 6:48 am

Can't tell you what they planed, but there are some ways around the "Umlaut" problem.
You can use Unicode or Copy+Paste:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaute#Unicode
Which of cause only makes sense if you need it really often.
Or if you are using Windows you can simply change the input method:
http://www.bhashaindia.com/Developers/I ... tm?lang=en
Go to step three and just add German and then you should be able to change this in the task bar, to the right, right beside the running processes. In fact there should be an EN Symbol if you are American or British and with a left click onto that you can change to German keyboard.
This is a picture I found on Wiki:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 0911153745
You'll find that the key placement isn't all that different in the end...

Hope I could help. ^_^;;

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » June 2nd, 2008 7:42 am

Like Japanesepod101, there will eventually be several intermediate series. The first intermediate series will be using music and a non-linear format so that you can just listen in on anything that sounds interesting. Later, especially once the beginner series is more developed, there will also be a linear intermediate series that starts off where the beginner series ended.

Switching between keyboard layouts can be annoying, though it can be done. The main problem is the punctuation, which is located in different places and yet isn't used so often that you'd easily remember the new locations. Maybe you'd prefer the "US International" keyboard layout, which is supposed to simplify typing of accented letters - or you can even create your own keyboard layout (using MSKLC in Windows or Ukulele on Mac OS) to reflect your personal preferences and needs. I created a really international keyboard layout for myself, which allows me to easily type German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Esperanto...

Varazzeno
New in Town

Umulauts

Postby Varazzeno » June 3rd, 2008 7:34 pm

Danke, Ich wurde verwende ein Tastatur (layout?) aber oder volk verwenden (das computer?)

Feel free to correct me if you want, Im just practicing writing. I dont expect it looks to good.

misterian
New in Town

typing umlauts

Postby misterian » June 13th, 2008 7:07 am

If you are on a Mac, just hold option while typing "u", then let go of the option key and type the letter. When you type option+u you will see some highlighted dots appear.

Therefore: ä ö ü.

No modification to keyboard settings necessary!

Return to “German Lesson Suggestions”