Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

German movies

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

German movies

Postby Sprachprofi » May 15th, 2008 8:53 am

Germany has one of the largest movie industries in the world. However, the movies are not easy to find in American cinemas, you may have to mail-order the DVDs. Which German movies would you recommend to fellow learners?

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » May 15th, 2008 7:42 pm

Das Leben der Anderen/ The Life of Others
That one was recommanded by many of my friends. ^^

And there also is this movie:
Himmel über Berlin/ Wings of Desire
The movie City of Angels is based on this one, so it's probably more for the femal learners, while The Life of Others is a more serious movie about the Stasi.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
hnordquist
New in Town

Netflix

Postby hnordquist » June 26th, 2008 12:51 pm

I have found that Netflix has quite a few German movies. I don't know if you are a member, but you can search by the German language and find some.

Heather

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » June 30th, 2008 5:07 pm

Kare wrote:Himmel über Berlin/ Wings of Desire
The movie City of Angels is based on this one, so it's probably more for the femal learners, while The Life of Others is a more serious movie about the Stasi.

I didn't like City of Angels that much but Der Himmel über Berlin is a great movie.

A movie I still love to watch even though it's actually a children's story is "Das fliegende Klassenzimmer" based the book by Erich Kästner (who has a Cameo in the movie and also wrote the screenplay). I mean the b/w version from 1954.

"Bandits" from 1997 is also a great movie about 4 women in prison who play in a band and escape more or less by accident. Great characters, nice music and also with a good sense of humour.

KevinMac
New in Town

Postby KevinMac » August 9th, 2008 11:20 am

I must suggest; Vitus its in Swiss German but its a fantastic watch and the music and wonderful as well

bauchweh
New in Town

Postby bauchweh » January 19th, 2010 2:56 pm

You can go on Youtube and watch THE DOWNFALL (DER UNTERGANG) 1/15 and goes thru 15/15 and it is in German but has English translation at bottom of screen. It is a good movie for listening to the German, i think. The capital letters is how the title reads in youtube so you can find it. I recorded the entire movie as mp3 audio (using MP3 My MP3, it's free) and listen to it as an audio book now.[/u]

yorsei
New in Town

Postby yorsei » February 7th, 2010 3:50 pm

watched Kirschblüten the other day, I think it was a very beautifully made movie... :)

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » February 14th, 2010 9:35 am

A couple that I liked were

Krabat- A fantasy movie based on a novel of the same name seems like good dialogue and it's cinematography is amazing, VFX is sometimes cheesy though. This one hasn't been released world-wide yet, so you'll probably have to mail order it and deal with the region coding (tip-computer DVD drives can be switched on command) There are also no other languages available - only German subtitles (for deaf) with German audio. Although, I've found that the German subtitles much more useful for me than even an English subtitle would be.

Die Bader-Meinhof Komplex - this one is about the RAF back in the 60's/70's(I think that's the right time). Very interesting to watch and perhaps one of the most beautifully shot movies I've seen in a while. For you learners out there this one might be a little advanced - very heavily political vocab is required. This one's available in the states and on Netflix.

chris4285176
New in Town

Postby chris4285176 » May 31st, 2010 11:35 am

I actually have Downfall on DVD and watched it the other day. I enjoyed it for the most part.
That's the only proper German movie I have at the moment. Apart from that, I have some movies that have a German dubbing.

Face/Off
Osmosis Jones
Short Circut 2
V for Vendetta
The Dukes of Hazzard season one.
Dead Like Me series.

They're probably not as useful as real German movies, though...

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 17th, 2010 4:30 pm

There are 3 threads about German movies. Shouldn't they be merged?

German Movies in Food & Entertainment
Favorite German Movies in Movies & Television
and this one
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

laraange2383
New in Town

two good german movies about the gdr

Postby laraange2383 » August 19th, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi, I remember having seen two good German movies but I don't remember their names. The two movies are about the GDR. One is about a group of young people who like rock music in the 60s in the GDR but they are not allowed to have that music that comes from America, at the end of the movie it is shown that the wall is being built. The other movie is about a swimmer who goes to the Western Germany (or viceverse ¿?) to practice swimming and compete. I don't remember their names or when they were release, but probably was after the reunification or during the 2000's. I'd really appreciate if someone can help me with the information. I am a real fan of German Movies. Thanks

Angela

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 19th, 2010 9:58 pm

The first movie could be Sonnenallee from 1999.

I don't know about the other
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

laraange2383
New in Town

Postby laraange2383 » August 19th, 2010 10:36 pm

but that movie is about the late 70's. Anyways thanks for your reply.

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 20th, 2010 12:49 am

Well then I don't know. I haven't watch many movies about the GDR.
Sorry.
But you could check out Sonnenallee anyway ;) I liked it.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”