Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

payment

fraac
New in Town

payment

Postby fraac » October 30th, 2009 3:36 pm

If I get premium membership, will it cost $240 all at once? I can afford $10 a month but not $240 at once.

jjmmjj57
New in Town

Re: payment

Postby jjmmjj57 » November 2nd, 2009 5:32 am

I'm in the same "boat" with the Russian one. I signed up for the $10 per month and when i submitted it i was charged $240! Pretty upset. When I called to questions it on their advertised customer service number all I could do was leave a voicemail or, if I had billing questions, I had to SEND AN EMAIL!!!

Not too confident about this "101" stuff.

fraac wrote:If I get premium membership, will it cost $240 all at once? I can afford $10 a month but not $240 at once.

Get 40% OFF
fraac
New in Town

Postby fraac » November 2nd, 2009 12:28 pm

It does seem shonky. The endless discount offers, multiple payment options with hidden details, the constant pimping. I have no doubts about the earnest intentions of the tutors, and the material seems very good indeed, so it's a shame they lose my trust. Tbh I can't tell if they're dodgy or just doing things the American way.

I'll wait for recommendations and stick with the free content for now.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » November 4th, 2009 11:10 am

I hear you. In Germany, this way of advertising would also do more harm than good, making people suspicious, but I recently spent a few weeks in the USA and I can attest that everybody advertises like that over there. I suppose that more toned-down ads would not get Americans' attention anymore.

As for the payments, you may be aware that credit card companies charge companies a fee every time you pay with a credit card. Hence, 12 times $10 is considerably more expensive to GermanPod101 than 1 time $240. This, and also the fact that they can be sure you'll stay subscribed longer, is the reason that the cheapest rate is only available if you pay yearly. However, on the same screen where you enter your credit card information, you can also elect to pay monthly, every 3 months or every 6 months. These rates are more expensive, to reflect what I said above, but they do exist. This way you could also subscribe for a shorter period of time - say you are not going to have internet for the next month but don't want to miss that month's lessons. Or maybe you want to study German really intensively over the christmas holidays and you get a subscription for that time so you can work with the Learning Center and access the PDFs. I personally find it disconcerting to learn a language with audio only.

Anyway, I'm just in charge of the content here. If you want things to change, you will have to contact the decision-makers, who also run the other Pod101 sites the same way. is probably your best bet.

Return to “Technical Support”