a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Intermediate lessons - music!

curvy4kaulitz
New in Town

Intermediate lessons - music!

Postby curvy4kaulitz » May 30th, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey,

suggestions; it wouldn't really be a german podcast without any tokio hotel right? it's pretty bad but they're pretty much the biggest reason i wanna learn more german. since they're like the biggest and most hated band in germany, why not? songs like 'reden' and 'beichte' would be amazing to hear. i hope you guys consider. liebe! <3

pseupseudio
New in Town

Postby pseupseudio » June 6th, 2008 5:13 am

EISBAER.

it is a good idea.

There's a lot of good music that never really became popular in america, but is still somewhat common in particular dance clubs. Wolfsheim has a few successful dance songs here in english, but their german songs are at a good intermediate level for vocab.

Get 40% OFF
Adam
New in Town

Postby Adam » June 6th, 2008 6:14 pm

I heard that the Intermediate lessons to come will be based on learning the lyrics of German songs. Therefore I have two songs for consideration, I always heard these songs at outdoor festivals being played on some floats and beer tents. Everyone would sing along when ever one of the floats playing these songs passed by and I always wonder what the lyrics were.

Artist:
Lollies
Song:
Wahnsinn (...Hölle, Hölle, Hölle)

Artist:
Höhner
Song:
Viva Colonia (Da Simmer Dabei, Dat Is Prima!)

Adam

P.S. Love the lessons keep up the great work guys.

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Postby Was_ » August 24th, 2008 3:00 am

I wish they would do some TokioHotel songs, too, curvy4kaulitz but I dont think they should do Reden because, well... if you already know what that song is about... (Im assuming you do) then, well.. i assume you understand why I dont think they would choose to do this song. ;)

I suggest:
Tokio Hotel - Ubers ende dieser welt, Durch den Monsun, or even In die Nacht.
Rammstein! - for how much you guys seem to be fans of Rammstein, im amazed you haven't chosen one of their songs yet! Maybe you should do the song from the jingle?
And, well, Id suggest Nena but you already did 99 Red Balloons! Yaay :)

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Another music suggestion

Postby lamar1 » August 26th, 2008 8:49 am

How about explorer other music genres such as German Hip-Hop/Rap. I like Sido for example. I had my fiancee translate the words for me. What he says is real. One of my favorite songs from him is Wahlkampf. Das musik ist sehr gut.

-tschüss

ktnagel
New in Town

Maybe it's worth to remember how good german songs are

Postby ktnagel » August 30th, 2008 1:15 pm

If you think of good german lyrics, try Nena or Reinhard Mey..
Ever since Schubert, the Lied has always been one of the most important music styles in German..
Quite notable is also the long tradition of the Volkslied, having nearly the influence as the irish and britsh folk. Notable current interprets would be Zupfgeigenhansel, Ougenweide, or even Knut Kiesewetter.

Regards from Unna,
Thomas

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Re: Another music suggestion

Postby Was_ » August 31st, 2008 11:02 pm

lamar1 wrote:How about explorer other music genres such as German Hip-Hop/Rap. I like Sido for example. I had my fiancee translate the words for me. What he says is real. One of my favorite songs from him is Wahlkampf. Das musik ist sehr gut.

-tschüss

I think thats actually a really good idea.
I say Bushido, or Samy Deluxe if they're going to hip-hop or rap..

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » September 1st, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! I personally don't like Tokio Hotel, so I'm particularly grateful you are suggesting concrete songs that could be discussed on the air without receiving complaints. For Rammstein that has also been a challenge, as they do a lot of songs that part of our listeners would find offensive, either because of vulgarity or content. Any suggestions there? Of course the songs we cover should also have some useful content in terms of grammar or vocabulary.

So far, we are trying to mostly cover songs and bands that any German will know. That means a lot of classics of course. With the help of friends' recommendations, we will also cover many different movements in German music, including song-writers, party songs, gothic music and even Volksmusik if I can find a song that won't hurt too much. This week we'll cover "Major Tom (Völlig losgelöst)" by Peter Schilling, a very well-known song from the Neue Deutsche Welle movement. You may even have heard this song in English before, though it's originally in German. Next week we'll do a classic German hip-hop song, which should be to the liking of some of you, even if it isn't Sido yet.

javier
New in Town

Postby javier » September 3rd, 2008 3:47 pm

I would like to hear "Mutter" by Rammstein. I love this song

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » September 8th, 2008 6:36 pm

I am sorry, "Wahlkampf" by Sido and "Mutter" by Rammstein contain a lot of things unacceptable in a G-rated podcast that minors might be listening to. Can you recommend other songs?

Please don't take it to mean that I dislike the songs or that you shouldn't take the chance to learn some German from it, we just can't feature these songs in our podcasts. I personally am a firm believer in using whatever language materials catch your interest. For example, I know an Esperanto course that uses sexual terms and insults to explain all key grammar features of Esperanto, and this is a very effective course for people who are interested in this kind of thing. Interesting material can make all the difference in flunking a course or passing with flying colors.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Re: Maybe it's worth to remember how good german songs are

Postby Sprachprofi » September 8th, 2008 9:25 pm

ktnagel wrote:If you think of good german lyrics, try Nena or Reinhard Mey..

Already did Nena. Now I'm thinking about Reinhard Mey - the most well-known song might be "Über den Wolken", but I'm sorely tempted to do "Beim Blättern in den Bildern meiner Kindheit" or "Sommermorgen" or even "Mein Berlin" (if that was available as a legal mp3). There's a lot to learn about Germany from his songs.

Thanks to your suggestion, I'm also looking at some classical German songs, the kind that school children or boyscouts might sing. These will probably come later in the series though, because the language is usually old-fashioned and hard.

Anyway next up is some hip-hop - watch out for it on Wednesday!

javier
New in Town

Postby javier » September 9th, 2008 9:30 am

Hi,

I don't know what song I can suggest. Most songs by Rammstein have no appropriated words. Anyways, thanks for hearing my suggestion.

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Postby Was_ » September 10th, 2008 1:50 am

Sprachprofi wrote:Thank you for the suggestions! I personally don't like Tokio Hotel, so I'm particularly grateful you are suggesting concrete songs that could be discussed on the air without receiving complaints.

:oops:
haha... well I know itll never happen but maybee if I just keep hoping and suggesting... maybe someday you'll do a Tokio Hotel song. I can dream, right?

Anyway next up is some hip-hop - watch out for it on Wednesday!

wasnt it hard to find a German hiphop song with no vulgar language? Or are German hiphop songs just not as bad as the American ones? :)
For talking about Rammstein having too much innapropriate material, I was just wondering how you guys could do a hip hop song..

Now I'm thinking about Reinhard Mey

I like that idea. I'd love to hear any of the ones you mentioned done. :)

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Perhaps

Postby lamar1 » September 16th, 2008 6:08 am

Perhaps Bushido's song called "Janine" oder "Ich Regele Das" wouldn't be a bad idea. Das musik ist sehr gut. I look forward to learning more German songs from this podcast. I find it very interesting to discover what is being said in these great German songs.

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Postby Was_ » September 16th, 2008 10:52 pm

So next up will be a drinking song?
I wonder, what will it be??
:)

Return to “German Lesson Suggestions”