Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Word Bank with articles

ilyarough9181
New in Town

Word Bank with articles

Postby ilyarough9181 » August 18th, 2010 9:03 am

From real-life lessons and other courses I learnt that you should always try to memorize the noun together with its gender, e.g. der Lebenslauf rather then Lebenslauf.

Since you can't infer the gender of German nous, there's no way to construst sentence correctly without learning this stuff.

So I think it would be useful for Word Bank to contain words in their articlarized form.

dsm295302179
New in Town

Postby dsm295302179 » November 18th, 2011 12:36 am

I agree. It's always best to associate the definite article with the noun as often as possible. Presently, in the audios and lesson notes, the nouns are given by them selves, with the article given after the definition. For example, in the notes for one lesson (Advanced Audio Blog, S4, #23) you see: "Zweig- branch, twig- noun- masculine; plural:Zweige" I think it would be better to have "der Zweig- branch, twig- noun- plural:Zweige." It would also be helpful to have the nouns presented that way in the recordings as well. It would also be helpful to have the articles on the flash cards as well.
Other than that, I love the course!

Get 40% OFF
peter8011
New in Town

Re: Word Bank with articles

Postby peter8011 » March 6th, 2013 12:24 am

I totally agree. While we are memorising the nouns we should be memorising the article as well!!! Has there been a reply to this cos I think it's a really bad short coming for the learning platform.

palomashirozu8427
New in Town

Postby palomashirozu8427 » March 11th, 2013 5:02 am

Hi everyone,

thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback.
We are always positive in receiving constructive criticism, so I will forward your thoughts to the correspondent team who take decisions about how to design the structure of our website.

Kind regards,
Paloma
Team GermanPod101

paulfgerard8399
New in Town

Postby paulfgerard8399 » June 25th, 2013 7:30 am

It's been nearly 3 years since the request for this seemingly obvious feature was suggested. Has any thought been given to when the learning resources will be updated to incorporate articles? Every language resource I've read recommends learning the gender with the noun so it is an obvious feature.

team.relationships
New in Town

Postby team.relationships » June 26th, 2013 5:33 am

Hi Paul,

You're right, the gender MUST be learned in the same time.
Our team is working on it, so please be patient.
For now, you can check the gender in the Dictionary.
Sorry for the inconvenience,

Kind regards,
Mélanie
Team GermanPod101

Return to “Learn German Feature Requests”