Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

German beer..

markystar
New in Town

Postby markystar » March 13th, 2008 6:02 am

when i visited germany, i noticed that beer was often cheaper than bottled water. that freakin' ruled!!

drinking liter shandies in münchen's Inglischergarten (sp) on a nice summer day was the bomb.com

Actually, my favorite thing about drinking beer in germany was that each town had its own brews... i mean, each pub might actually have its own brew. it was incredible to taste so many skillfully crafted beers and each one different from the last.

i was also surprised that if you order a sausage (like bratwurst or knockwurst) you get a piece of bread and not a bun.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » March 13th, 2008 11:33 am

markystar wrote:when i visited germany, i noticed that beer was often cheaper than bottled water. that freakin' ruled!!

Beer is very much a drink for everybody, especially in Bavaria. However, if you go to a pub there is a law that some non-alcoholic drink has to be cheaper than the cheapest alcoholic drink, so that people don't drink beer just because it's cheap.

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
markystar
New in Town

Postby markystar » March 13th, 2008 12:59 pm

speaking of beer....

SPATEN
SPATEN OPTIMATOR
FRANZIKANER

it was hard to find these beers on tap in the parts of the US i lived.
but in chicago i knew 2 places where i could get them. spent a lot of time visiting those watering holes. awwwwww yeah! 8)

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » June 1st, 2008 8:56 pm

Personally I don't really like beer, but as Judith said, it is true that beer mix drinks are really hip at the moment.
A few days ago they handed out some beer with some excotic juice mixed in it.
(That actually happens every now and then, aspecially during summer. They sometimes use this to advertise the newest Cola flavour or what ever and it has the advantage of an entire city aria advertising your drink by carrying it around.)
I thought it was a good opportunity to try, but honestly: I found it even more disgusting then normal beer. :oops:
And when you eat in a Mensa you sometimes get promotional stuff too, so I also had become the not so proud owner of some Beer with Grapefruit taste and a strange orange color.
I honestly don't get it.
Then again, Alcopop was huge a years ago and this might be the reaction to the Alcopop ban. (Alcopop is a slang term for really sweet alcohol drinks in bright colors, that became famous really fast and the governance actually took measures against it, because they feared that teenagers that were to young to drink hard drinks might get tempted into drinking because the stuff looked like limonade... It wasn't a real ban, they simply raised the taxes on it (just a few cent), till it became so expensive that no one wanted to buy it any more and it disappeared from the stores rather fast thereafter...)

Anyone here tasted some of these mix drinks?

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » March 17th, 2009 5:28 pm

Do they really drink beer warm in Germany? Thats what I hear anyway? Warm beer?? Not cool. :?

BTW, Spaten is Awesome!

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » March 17th, 2009 8:58 pm

Warm beer? No way! Where did you hear that :lol: ?

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » March 24th, 2009 1:49 am

My Uncle was in Germany a few years ago. He said the beer is served warm. :?: Thats why I asked because that didn't sound right to me!

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » March 24th, 2009 5:23 am

Maybe it was in a hot summer and there was no time to cool the beer? Maybe it was a bad restaurant? Warm beer tasts very bad :? and when you are in a restaurant, where they serve warm beer, we not accept it actually.

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » March 24th, 2009 11:29 am

Thank God! :D

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”