Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Dem??

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Dem??

Postby steelafan36 » April 18th, 2009 3:38 pm

Ok I saw in one of the lessons the the word "Dem" was used for "The" instead of "Der" "Die" or "Das". I didn't notice it at first but now that I did, when is that used?? :shock:

nagarjuna
New in Town

Postby nagarjuna » April 19th, 2009 3:39 pm

It's pretty damn quiet around here... Is anyone at home?

Anyway, "dem" is the dative form of "der". There's an overview of cases here: http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~oberle/courses/ ... html#cases

You can also drill yourself here: http://german.morley-computing.co.uk/de ... eTable.php

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » April 20th, 2009 9:00 am

Yes, nagarjuna is right :D !

Ich gebe dem Kind Bonbons.

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » April 20th, 2009 5:09 pm

:shock:

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » April 20th, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok. Is it something that has to be done to make the grammer correct? What if I used the article I was used to using in that spot? What is I used"der" instead of "dem"? Is that considered improper and an all around no-no? :?

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » April 20th, 2009 8:30 pm

Haha.... this -> :shock: is your most loved smiley, isn't it :P ?

Ich gebe dem Kind Bonbons.

Well, if you would say "Ich gebe das Kind Bonbons", I guess, I would be able to understand you with this short sentence. But if you would speak with a more complex one, I maybe would have serious problems, because I wouldn't be able to recognize, what is the subject and what the object.

JockZon
New in Town

Postby JockZon » April 28th, 2009 5:42 pm

Because I'm so nice I'm going to explain was DEM is! :D

DEM is used instead of DER or DAS when those words are standing as DATIVE objects. There three different situations when you use this:

*After certain prepositions: There are prepositions that controls DATIVE and there are those controlling DATIVE but also ACCUSATIVE and GENITIVE. I'm not going to cover them all here but I'm going to go through when which is used.

Ich laufe nach dem Hund - I'm walking behind the dog (the dog - der Hund)
Here NACH is a preposition that controls DATIVE. This is the easy part. When this preposition exists, you just chance DER and DAS to DEM (DIE becomes DER in singular).

The other set of prepositions controls DATIVE when something doesn't move as oppose to when something move it controls ACCUSATIVE.

Ich gehe in den Wald - I'm going to the forest (ACCUSATIVE - movement)
Ich bin in DEM Wald - I am in the forest (DATIVE - no movement)

Most prepositiones are contracted with the article so more correct would be "Ich bin im Wald" but that's another story.

*When you are doing something for someone: If you give someone something or if you are telling someone something, then you use DATIVE.

Ich erzähle DEM Kind ein Märchen - I'm telling THE child a story
Ich gebe DEM Hund etwas zu essen - I'm giving THE dog something to eat

*The worst part, situations with no logic! You just have to learn which expression uses which cases. Hmm, an example could be "Ich glaube dem Kind - I believe the child" if you don't think that the believing is something you do for the child. There are tons of more unlogical expressions but I can't think of something now.

I hope this helps a little at least ;)
ik bin n berliner!

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » April 28th, 2009 5:45 pm

Because I'm so nice I'm going to explain was DEM is!

Haha... :lol: !

Ist aber eine sehr schöne Erklärung!

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » August 4th, 2010 4:51 am

How 'bout dem Mets?

Sorry had to spread at least some humor ;)

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”