Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Going to Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Going to Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

Postby Sprachprofi » March 10th, 2008 11:16 am

How many of you are learning German because of Urlaub (vacation) ? Where are you planning to go and when? How much Deutsch (German) have you studied so far?

I am presently living in Berlin, a very popular spot for Touristen (tourists), but I myself have only moved hier (here) recently. And because of Arbeit (work), I haven't yet gotten around to seeing much of the city. Maybe we'll even see each other on a Führung (guided tour)!

jchack
New in Town

Austria

Postby jchack » May 31st, 2008 6:17 pm

I'll be in Austria (Salzburg) for Arbeit from the 9th of June to the 18th. I am planning to Besuch Munchen on Samstag and Sonntag (14th and 15th), but that's a long Fahrt from Berlin :)

Get 40% OFF
isaac
New in Town

Re: Going to Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

Postby isaac » July 11th, 2008 2:18 am

Sprachprofi wrote:How many of you are learning German because of Urlaub (vacation) ? Where are you planning to go and when? How much Deutsch (German) have you studied so far?

I go to visit Germany maybe once or twice a year to my girlfriends family. I've been to a few different cities with her... her family is in Hersfeld but she used to live in Karlsruhe, so I've visited there too a few times.

Also I follow my football team (Tottenham) around Europe so I've been with colleagues to see us play in Dortmund and Dusseldorf too in the last couple of years.

It's funny how quickly one picks up the language once you are there and at least know enough to "get by"... especially if you aren't with a native speaker, so you have to learn as you go!

Baltosteve
New in Town

Germany and Austria in Early Fall

Postby Baltosteve » July 29th, 2008 10:20 pm

I'll be visiting Germany and Austria in Late September and early October. I'm sure Munchen will be very crowded for Oktoberfest but I'll also be visiting Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, Salzburg, and Vienna. I have never been to either Austria or Germany and I just really started learning German a few months ago. It should be pretty exciting! The last time I was in Europe I did the foolish tourist thing and went to Italy in the summer when it was entirely too hot and crowded. I hope this time will be better.

One thing's for sure. with the US Dollar so low it will probably be expensive for me, but at least I won't run into as many annoying Americans. After all, I don't go to Europe only to meet douchy people from California. Wish me luck! :wink:

Pottsy
New in Town

Visiting German

Postby Pottsy » August 1st, 2008 7:40 pm

I am learning German because I like the language. I studied it in high school and have tried to continue learning on and off since then. I have no plans to visit Germany although I would love to. I don't think my husband would join me for a visit. I would really like to find someone to correspond with to help improve my German even more. Thanks so much for GermanPod101. It is great.

KevinMac
New in Town

Postby KevinMac » August 9th, 2008 11:04 am

I wanted to learn a new language, and have always been fascinated with the German culture. So for the past 5 months I have using Pimsleur Audio :) which has been fantastic. I came across your podcast and got hooked yet again. Well I guess that's enough about me.

Erst später <-----(cheated but I knew what I wanted to say) :)
Kevin

anghelllerenas
New in Town

Postby anghelllerenas » September 3rd, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm in love with German culture since I can remember. I've been studying German since a year ago in a German Cultural Center in my city and I've been doing pretty well, I've been in Germany 5 times already and I just love it!!!
I'm going to Austria at the end of the year and I'm spending Christmas and New Years eve in Berlin (which is my favorite city).

seantheshark
New in Town

Thak you Germanpod101!

Postby seantheshark » December 30th, 2009 12:22 pm

I just wanted to thank GermanPod101. I just spend 9 days in Germany (Hamburg and Brunswick) and 3 months of listening to Germanpod101 roughly twice a day and I was really amazed by the results. Im still a bit timid to speak it but I was able to order currywerst and gluwine without a hitch. :-) Getting around was so easy...The cultural lessons (like avoiding walking in the bike paths, for example) were a real help and the knowledge very much impressed the people important to me there.

More importantly, I was able to understand a lot more of what I heard and that really helped in getting to know the family I was staying with.

soooo Danke Judith and thank you Chuck!!

JustinBrady
New in Town

Postby JustinBrady » December 25th, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi guys! I have been listening to your podcasts and enjoying them!

I'm going on this route in 6 months, taking my time to explore Germany & Austria over a month's time:

-Koln
-Bremen
-Hamburg
-Berlin
-Dresden
-Vienna
-Salzburg
-Munich
-Fussen
-Stuttgart
-Freiburg
(Also going to Amsterdam, Prague, Stasbourg, and... Paris.)

Any recommendations of great things to see , do, or experience in these cities? Are there some cities that are heartbreakingly missing from the list? Let me know! Thanks!

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 25th, 2010 7:05 pm

You can see so much that you never have enough time to see everything.
For Vienna you should see St. Stephen's Cathedral, Hofburg and Schönbrunn Palace. If you like architecture you might want to thee the Hundertwasserhaus and for shopping go to the Maria-Hilfer-Straße.
There is of course lots and lots more. I guess it depends what you like.
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

JustinBrady
New in Town

Postby JustinBrady » December 25th, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, I suppose just saying a city is somewhat vague... but I literally like everything. Museums, clubs/bars, restaurants, outdoors stuff... I'd probably favor the weirder things that aren't as "touristy." I've never been to Austria, so I'm especially interested in everything it has to see and do. Which reminds me, I had also heard of hiking around Brechtesgaden. I really do love athletic activities. :)

PS: Your blog is wonderful, Salivia! Excellent poetry!

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 25th, 2010 7:18 pm

mmh.. museum.. how about Haus der Musik? it's a museum for sound. I liked it very much.
you could go and see Siegmund Freund's house (I wasn't that impressed though). as for weird things: Narrenturm. You gotta have the stomach for it though. I haven't seen the upper parts but my mother and brother did and said it was interesting. I've only been in the lower part which was... interesting.. but my aunt couldn't stand what she saw there.

Thank you. I am glad you like them. :)
You could also try and read the German ones ;)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » January 17th, 2011 4:08 pm

In Berlin, check out the Tacheles art house, and C-Base (a space station under the city ;-) )
These are still not widely known to tourists.
If you look around, one of the companies also offers a guided tour of all the 'alternative' places in Berlin, squatted houses, awesome graffiti and so on.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”