Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Children's Books

hotlilpenguin
New in Town

Children's Books

Postby hotlilpenguin » May 28th, 2008 2:17 pm

Does anyone know any good children's books in German?

Last year, my cousins from Germany came to visit. My grandmother's first cousin is about my mom's age, and she LOVES my daughter (they share a birthday). She brought lots of toys, including a German language children's book that I still cannot read. :oops:

Since I decided to finally start learning German, maybe I could read my daughter some books? However, they seem impossible to find. Especially when I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » May 28th, 2008 3:54 pm

I do know that there is an entire series, of small "books". (They are about 15x15cm or something and don't have more then... I guess 30 pages. But I seem to be unable to find them through Amazon. I will keep in mind to look for the publisher next time I am in town.)

Anyway:
There - of cause - is a German Version of The Little Prince. (I actually wonder if there are many languages without one) It might be to complex for your daughter, depending on her age, but you can easily get the English Version and read them side by side. It's easy language but I really love the book. (And I only discovered it this year! I'm 23 and still like it. ^_^;; At the same time a friend of mine hates this with a passion, so yeah... taste is different for everyone.)

And there is something that is aspecially suitable for really young children:
Der kleine Eisbär (The little Polar Bear)
Those are actually picture books, but Lars - the little Bear - is rather popular in Germany.
Maybe you know him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxFFpwq ... re=related

Unfortunately my personal childhood is a little far away. I used to love the Disney Books about Chap and Chapper or one of the Disney movies. But maybe you can find a childs book verion of the Tales by the Brothers Grimm. There should be some simplified, non-violent, picture heavy books out there. A quick search on Amazon.com showed that they seem somewhat hard to get by outside of Germany, but maybe you're lucky. ^_^;;

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
hotlilpenguin
New in Town

Postby hotlilpenguin » May 28th, 2008 4:17 pm

Kare wrote:And there is something that is aspecially suitable for really young children:
Der kleine Eisbär (The little Polar Bear)
Those are actually picture books, but Lars - the little Bear - is rather popular in Germany.
Maybe you know him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxFFpwq ... re=related

Ah, Amazon has these and they have audiobooks of them too. She's not quite four and she loves animals. This is a big big help. Vielen Dank!

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » May 28th, 2008 4:28 pm

hotlilpenguin wrote:Ah, Amazon has these and they have audiobooks of them too. She's not quite four and she loves animals. This is a big big help. Vielen Dank!

Your welcome. ^^
They are actually from a Dutch author but got published here first. The small videos used to be part of Die Sendung mit der Maus (An entertainmant/ education mix for kids), so it's likely you find some more on Youtube. (there is at least one full length movie)

Glad I could help. ^^

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » May 28th, 2008 9:30 pm

You could also try "Heidi" later - it's a classic story that should be easy to find. At a Berlin bookstore I even saw an easy reader using a vocabulary of less than 500 German words.

Some things I loved as a kid (sorry, can't remember what I read or watched when I was 4...):

- "Es war einmal..." : there are different TV programs published with this concept, for example "Es war einmal das Leben" (about biology), "Es war einmal der Mensch" (about history), "Es war einmal Amerika" (about American history), "Es war einmal der Weltraum" (about space)... Basically, these programs are very educational, but they use characters and stories that make e. g. a fever feel like an adventure.

- Augsburger Puppenkiste, they play different stories using string puppets, which are then broadcast on TV. Michael Ende (author of the "Neverending Story") wrote some of the underlying stories. See a sample of "Jim Knopf" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpqYAYgKK4 for example. Parents love their series because they are good quality programing and free of violence.

- Michael Ende books: it's a short way from the TV episodes to reading more of his works.

- (for older kids and youths) Karl May books: Karl May would be considered a classic author if his goal hadn't been to simply entertain people - the saying is "Goethe kennt man, Karl May hat man gelesen" (as a German you know Goethe, (but) you read Karl May). Last time I looked, there were 5 Karl May books in every German household, statistically. The stories are mostly set in either the Old West or the Orient, and they are the main reason why Germans are fascinated with Native Americans - there are a lot of clubs focusing on Native American culture here for example, while the number of Germans with Native American heritage is close to zero. Karl May portrays them as generally very noble and peaceful people - his books contain about as little violence as you could possibly have in a Western - and his books are said to instill values like truth, goodness and honor in the young audience. In the 60s there have also been movies based on Karl May's books, which still attracted enough TV viewers at their 54th repetition this year, but the movies are very very very loose interpretations of the books.

Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » May 29th, 2008 5:41 am

Oh yes. °-°
Es war einmal.... I loved that series. Does it even run on TV anymore? Didn't see that in ages, but I guess almost everyone of my age group recognizes the title song for Es war einmal das Leben.
And I just saw that it's actually a french production. XD Seems like we really use to watch stuff from all over the world. *g*

And the Augsburger Puppenkiste is really good. ^^
Personally I loved Jim Knopf and Das Urmel. My mother loved those episodes that center around a lion.

Also a violent free and really beautiful tale is Die steinerne Blume. It's originally a russian tale about a boy who sees a flower made out of stone which opens and closes itself according to the sun and he wants to make one himself.

Varazzeno
New in Town

stories

Postby Varazzeno » June 3rd, 2008 7:17 pm

Geta book of fairy tales in German, they are good for learning to since you already know the stories and can guess at the context in many places.

Bruder Grimm Marchen- It means Grimm brothers fairytales. Type it on google books or amazon and order a copy over the internet

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » June 30th, 2008 5:16 pm

Sprachprofi wrote:- Augsburger Puppenkiste, they play different stories using string puppets, which are then broadcast on TV. Michael Ende (author of the "Neverending Story") wrote some of the underlying stories. See a sample of "Jim Knopf" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpqYAYgKK4 for example. Parents love their series because they are good quality programing and free of violence.

uhm.. well not shown anyway. In Urmel aus dem Eis the king (?) has a rifle because he wants to hunt the Urmel. And in Der Prinz von Pumpalonien the prince is suppose to slay the dragon.

I also love Schlupp, maybe because it's sci-fi but I soo love Schlupp he's just too cute. It has some fantasy words in it though because Schlupp is from another Planet (BaldaSiebenStrichDrei or Balda7-3) and of course doesn't speak like we do.

As for children's books: Der Räuber Hotzenplotz is a classic.

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Postby Was_ » September 11th, 2008 3:17 am

Kare wrote:Anyway:
There - of cause - is a German Version of The Little Prince. (I actually wonder if there are many languages without one) It might be to complex for your daughter, depending on her age, but you can easily get the English Version and read them side by side. It's easy language but I really love the book. (And I only discovered it this year! I'm 23 and still like it. ^_^;; At the same time a friend of mine hates this with a passion, so yeah... taste is different for everyone.)

I actually went and bought Der Kleine Prinz because of this. Thanks for the suggestion, I really like it so far and its great for practicing.

Im sure there are many versions (or at least 3: English, German & French) because in the front it says:
"Titel der französischen Originalausgabe
LE PETIT PRINCE"

ddddyyyy
New in Town

Postby ddddyyyy » May 27th, 2009 1:18 am

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”