Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

German Movies

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

German Movies

Postby Sprachprofi » May 26th, 2008 6:44 pm

What are your favorite German movies? Which ones would you recommend to foreigners who haven't had the chance to see any?

Chuck's and my suggestions:

Entertaining movies:
- Lola rennt
- Goodbye Lenin
- Viktor Vogel - commercial man
- Der Schuh des Manitu (actors often speak dialect for comedic effect, so be sure to keep subtitles on)

Serious movies:
- Der Untergang
- Das Experiment

Any other recommendations? Do you want to share opinions about the movies I mentioned?

hotlilpenguin
New in Town

Das Boot!

Postby hotlilpenguin » May 28th, 2008 2:13 pm

I have Friday evening off and I'm going to watch the staggeringly long Das Boot (it's about 3.5 hours long). I guess it's a classic German movie, since it's almost 30 years old. It should be pretty exciting. :D

Get 40% OFF
Kare
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kare » May 28th, 2008 3:56 pm

A friend of mine got me really interested in Das Leben der Anderen. While I actually already know what happens in the movie, I am really tempted to see it in the near future...

hotlilpenguin
New in Town

Postby hotlilpenguin » May 28th, 2008 4:10 pm

Kare wrote:A friend of mine got me really interested in Das Leben der Anderen. While I actually already know what happens in the movie, I am really tempted to see it in the near future...

Ah, Das Leben der Anderen is pretty good. I liked Pan's Labyrinth a bit more (Das Leben der Anderen won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film), but this was really captivating. There's nothing like an oppressive government knocking on your door to get the adrenaline running.

ve3lz
New in Town

German movies

Postby ve3lz » May 28th, 2008 9:53 pm

I enjoy the Germanpod101 lessons. My favorite German movies are Lives of Others and Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz. John , Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Was_
Been Around a Bit

Postby Was_ » July 29th, 2008 6:51 pm

For a kids movie I like Arthur und die minimoys.

nerdyrebel
New in Town

Postby nerdyrebel » August 14th, 2008 3:03 am

Der Schuh des Manitu

Funny show, I don't know if it would be any good for a beginner. I really wish I could find this movie in Australia but apparantly there isn't a big demand for German movies here. Who would have guessed?
Anyways, check it out :)

[edit]
Someone already recommended this one, eep! It's still awesome though, watch it watch it watch it!

johngardner
New in Town

movie suggestion: Mostly Martha

Postby johngardner » September 8th, 2008 3:48 pm

A fairly easy to understand romantic comedy is Mostly Martha. English title, but the movie is all in German.

inzaghina
New in Town

Postby inzaghina » December 31st, 2008 9:14 am

Hello!! I have seen DER WIXXER , it is sehr sehr schon

JackG
New in Town

Postby JackG » February 16th, 2009 12:55 pm

Das Experiment is a great movie. I think I heard the rumor that Hollywood wants to make its own version.
The world is a book and who doesn't travel reads only a page.

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » March 2nd, 2009 8:17 pm

"Anatomie" with Franka Potente is great.
And actually everything with Loriot like "Papa ante Portas" :lol: .

ellalouisec
New in Town

Postby ellalouisec » June 7th, 2009 4:15 pm

Some more really good German films are The Baader Meinhof Complex - a really good film that tells the story about the revolutionary RAF group. Another one is Die Welle (The Wave), pretty recent and tells the story about a classroom dictatorship experiment that a certain teacher tries on on his class. Definitely worth a look!

chantal_pr
New in Town

Postby chantal_pr » August 20th, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi! I also watched Mostly Martha for my german's subject at school. It's not a wonderful film, but I found it quite entertaining, and it was very easy to understand.
Also in school my german's teacher made us watch "more cultural" movies, like Europa Europa, Goodbye Lennin, Das Boot or Die Untergang. The three were great, but I enjoyed especially Europa Europa and Die Untergang.
Oh, and I also heard that rumor about a Hollywood's Das Experiment somewhere I don't remember...

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 21st, 2009 12:50 pm

Oh I just watch Hitlerjunge Salomon (Europa Europa). I enjoyed it very much.
If you ant "More cultural" movies I'd recommend Die Ehe der Maria Braun / The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979): "This movie follows the life of a young German woman, married to a soldier in the waning days of WWII. Fassbinder [Rainer Werner Fassbinder is the director and writer] has tried to show the gritty life after the end of WWII and the turmoil of the people trapped in its wake." (from IMDB)

Die Fälscher / The Counterfeiters (2007) - German & Austrian Co-Production
"The Counterfeiters is the true story of the largest counterfeiting operation in history, set up by the Nazis in 1936. Salomon "Sally" Sorowitsch is the king of counterfeiters. He lives a mischievous life of cards, booze, and women in Berlin during the Nazi-era. Suddenly his luck runs dry when arrested by Superintendent Friedrich Herzog. Immediately thrown into the Mauthausen concentration camp, Salomon exhibits exceptional skills there and is soon transferred to the upgraded camp of Sachsenhausen. Upon his arrival, he once again comes face to face with Herzog, who is there on a secret mission. Hand-picked for his unique skill, Salomon and a group of professionals are forced to produce fake foreign currency under the program Operation Bernhard. The team, which also includes detainee Adolf Burger, is given luxury barracks for their assistance. But while Salomon attempts to weaken the economy of Germany's allied opponents, Adolf refuses to use his skills for Nazi profit and would like to do something to stop Operation Bernhard's aid to the war effort. Faced with a moral dilemma, Salomon must decide whether his actions, which could prolong the war and risk the lives of fellow prisoners, are ultimately the right ones" (from IMDB)

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo / Christiane F. (1981)
"This movie portrays the drug scene in Berlin in the 70s, following tape recordings of Christiane F. 14 years old Christiane lives with her mother and little sister in a typical multi-storey apartment building in Berlin. She's fascinated by the 'Sound', a new disco with most modern equipment. Although she's legally too young, she asks a friend to take her. There she meets Detlef, who's in a clique where everybody's on drugs. Step by step she gets drawn deeper into the scene." (from IMDB)

Anders als die Andern / Different from the Others (1919)
"Anders als die Andern is noteworthy as one of the first sympathetic portrayals of homosexuals in the cinema. The film's basic plot was used again in the 1961 UK film, Victim, starring Dirk Bogarde. Censorship laws enacted in reaction to films like Anders als die Andern eventually restricted viewing of this movie to doctors and medical researchers, and prints of the film were among the many "decadent" works burned by the Nazis after they came to power in 1933." (from wikipedia)

There also other goo movies like Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed / The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926), Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens Nosferatu / a Symphony of Horror (1922), Metropolis (1927), Der blaue Engel /The Blue Angel (1930), M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder / M (1931), Die Blechtrommel / The Tin Drum (1979), Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei / The Edukators (2004), Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage / Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005), Der bewegte Mann /The Most Desired Man (1994)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

peptastic6579
New in Town

Postby peptastic6579 » May 29th, 2011 2:07 pm

chantal_pr wrote:Hi! I also watched Mostly Martha for my german's subject at school. It's not a wonderful film, but I found it quite entertaining, and it was very easy to understand.
Also in school my german's teacher made us watch "more cultural" movies, like Europa Europa, Goodbye Lennin, Das Boot or Die Untergang. The three were great, but I enjoyed especially Europa Europa and Die Untergang.
Oh, and I also heard that rumor about a Hollywood's Das Experiment somewhere I don't remember...

Europa Europa was good. There is indeed a new Das Experiment coming out. It was based on an American school project so I'm not sure if this is a remake. I found the German version too disturbing to get through.

I've added Goodbye Lenin to my netflix que. Thanks for the rec!

Wings of Desire is a classic film. It might be the first German film I ever watched years ago. It's from the '80s.
It is about an angel who wishes to become mortal after he falls in love with a human. I mainly remember the soundtrack and the white unreadable subtitles.

If you liked Lola Rennt then I'd recommend another Franke Potente film - The Princess and The Warrior.

Does Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds count? They do speak German in the film.

Werner Herzog has made quite a few good films I'm told. I'm going to check out some of my sister's collection to practice listening to German.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”