a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Translating German songs

samueldam4483
New in Town

PUR - lena

Postby samueldam4483 » January 18th, 2011 12:32 am

Die Augenringe erzählen die Nacht - the ???? tells the night
Fremdes Hotel, bin fröstelnd aufgewacht - was woken up hastely in a foreign hotel
Mit'nem Gewißen, das mich ständig beißst - with my conscience constantly bitting me
oh, du fehlst mir so. - oh i miss u so much

In der Arena gestern noch der Held - in the arena yesterday there was still a hero
Heute der Typ, der den Hörer falsch herum hält - today the geezer that the ????????
Ach, warum gehst du denn nicht ran? - oh why do you go this way
Ich vermiss dich so - i miss you so

Wenn der himmel mir jetzt auf den kopf drauf fällt - if the sky draws all the attention from my head
bist du einzige, die noch zu mir hält - you are the only one i still hold dear???
ich brauch jetzt deine ruhige Hand. - i need now your calm hand
oh, meld dich doch bei mir. - oh give yourself to me
ich gäb sonst was dafür - i'll give anything in exchange

Refrain:
Lena du hast es oft nicht leicht - Lena, you find things hard most times
Wie weit die Kraft doch reicht - how far does the power take you
Wenn ich am Boden liege - when i'm lying on the floor
erzählst du mir - would you tell me
dass ich bald fliege - that i should soon go
Lena,
wie ein klarer warmer Wind - Lena, how is a clear warm wind
wenn die Tage stürmisch sind - when the days are rough
laß ich mich zu dir treiben - let me connect with you
Seelen aneinander reiben. - our souls interact

Bin viel zu oft weit weg von dir - i have been too far away from you
Abgestürzt gestrandet neben dir - ????? stuck by you
Mein Glück, dass du Bruchpiloten magst. - my luck that you like ??????????
Du kennst mich gut, ich schwör dir nie zu viel - you know me very well, i wouldn't swear at you too much
Aber du weißt, du bist mein wahre Ziel - but you are my true mission
Du hast mich immer noch nicht satt. - you have not yet satisfied me
Du bist Luft für mich, die ich zum Atmen brauch - you are the air i need to breathe
die Landebahn in Meinem Bauch - the ???????? in my stomach
die Tropfen für mein schwarches Herz - the drops for my poor heart
ich lieb dich alltagsgrau - i love you like all days green
ich lieb dich sonntagsblau - i love you like sundays blue

Refrain:>>>

So there, this was my best in translating, and i needed so much cleared up. Like what alltagsgrau and sontagsblau mean. I know they mean
more than the literal meaning.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Lena - translation

Postby Sprachprofi » January 18th, 2011 11:45 am

PUR loves to make plays on words, use neologisms and the like, so a lot of their songs are challenging to translate, but it's also why I like them so much. Let's see if I can help you. You already got most of it, correcting only some of the lines...

Augenringe - bags under one's eyes (from not sleeping enough)
bin fröstelnd aufgewacht - woke up shivering. Note that "was woken up" would be "wurde aufgeweckt"

The next part refers to the narrator, so you have to imagine "in the arena yesterday I was a hero"
Heute der Typ, der den Hörer falsch herum hält - today the guy that holds the (telephone) receiver the wrong way (Typ is a slightly derogatory word for a male person, but not old like 'geezer' would imply)
Ach, warum gehst du denn nicht ran? - Oh why don't you pick up? (ran-gehen)

Wenn der Himmel mir jetzt auf den Kopf drauf fällt - if the sky should fall down on my head now
bist du einzige, die noch zu mir hält - you're the only one who still supports me
oh, meld dich doch bei mir. - oh, do contact me. (sich melden, nothing to do with geben)

You got the meaning of the chorus mostly, but I prefer a different translation to bring out the overall picture better. Here's my attempt: Lena, you don't have it easy, but [it's amazing that] your power extends so far. When I'm lying on the ground, you tell me that I'll soon fly* [again]. Lena, [you're] like a clear warm wind, on stormy days I let myself drift towards you and our souls touch each other.

Bin viel zu oft weit weg von dir - I have been away from you too often
Abgestürzt gestrandet neben dir - crashed and stranded next to you (abstürzen is to crash like a plane)
Bruchpilot is a crash-happy pilot, but also used for accident-prone people, luckless people, or losers

Du kennst mich gut, ich schwör dir nie zu viel - you know me very well, I don't promise you too much (schwören always means to take an oath; can't mean to use swear-words in German)

Du hast mich immer noch nicht satt. - You still aren't tired of me. (jdn. satt haben = to be tired of sb., be fed up with sb.)
Landebahn is a runway designated for landing aircrafts. There's no special meaning to "runway in my stomach", it's just imagery.

There's no "like" in "ich lieb dich alltagsgrau" - and "grau" is "grey". Alltagsgrau is the dreariness of everyday life, it's grey because it's not exciting in any way, you know, going to work, spending the entire day at a grey office, returning home and it's almost already time to sleep... the daily grind. "sonntagsblau" is meant to be the contrast, the opposite of it. In total, he's saying (I think) that he loves everyday life [with her] as much as he loves days that are out of the ordinary.

Get 40% OFF
samueldam4483
New in Town

Postby samueldam4483 » January 23rd, 2011 9:22 pm

Vielen Dank Sprachprofi

samueldam4483
New in Town

Hier ist noch eins!

Postby samueldam4483 » March 3rd, 2011 3:35 am

Der triste Himmel macht mich krank - The dull sky makes me sick
Ein schweres graues Tuch - a heavy grey blanket
Das die Sinne fast erstickt - that almost stifles all senses
Die Gewohnhiet zu Besuch - to visit the habits????????
Lange nicht mehr aufgetankt - for long nothing has been fuelled
Die Batterien sind leer - the batteries are empty
In ein Labyrinth verstrick, - entrapped in a maze
Oh ich seh den Weg nicht mehr - oh, i don’t see the way anymore

Ich will weg, ich will raus, ich will wünsch mir was - i want to run away, i want out, i want a wish
und ein kleiner Junge nimmt mich an die Hand - and a young boy takes me by the hand
Er winkt mir zu und grinst - he bekons me and grins
Komm hier weg, komm hier raus komm ich zeig dir was - come away, come away, come i’ll show u something
Das du verlernt hast! - that you have unlearnt??
Vor lauter Verstand! - beyond all understanding
Komm mit - come along

REFRAIN:

Komm mit mir ins Abenteuerland - come with me into the adventureland
Auf deine eig’ne Reise - on your own journey
Der Eintritt kostet den Verstand - the cost is worth it
Und tu’s auf deine Weise - and do it by your means
Deine Fantasie schenkt dir ein Land - your fantasies give you a land
Das Abenteuerland - This Adventureland!

Neue Form, verspielt und wild - new shape, gambled and game
Die Wolken mal’n ein Bild - the clouds form a picture
Der Wind pfeift dazu dieses Lied - the wind whistles to it this song
In dem sich jeder Wunsch erfüllt! - that pleases everyone
Ich erfinde, verwandle mit Zauberkraft - i forge, transorm with magic powers
Die Armee der Zeigerfinger brüllt: Du spinnst - The army of the forefinger squalls: you spin
Ich streck den Finger aus - i outstretch the finger
Ich verhexe verbanne, ich hab die Macht - I jinx/bewitch, banish, i have the power
So lange der kleine da im Siegel noch grinst - as long as the boy keeps smiling in the mirror
Komm mit - come with

REFRAIN

BRIDGE:
Peter Pan und Captain Hook mit 17 Feuerdrachen - Peter Pan and Captain Hook with 17 Firedrakes
Alles kannst du sehen wenn du willst - you can see everything if u want
Ohhh Donnervögel, Urgeschrei, Engel die laut lachen - ohh thunderbird’s cry,an outloud laughing angel
Alles kannst du hören wenn du willst - you can hear everything if u want
Du kannst flippen, flitzen, fliegen, und das größte Pferd Kriegen - you can flip, flip and fly and catch the biggest horse
Du kannst tanzen, taumeln, trämen, und die Schule versäumen - you can dance, tumble, dream and neglect the school
Alles das ist möglich, in dir drin, in deinem Land - all that is possible in your land??????
Trau dich nur zu spinnen, es liegt in deiner Hand - i dare you just to spin, it lies in your hand
Komm mit - come along

REFRAIN

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”