Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

children's books?

cmp9076
New in Town

children's books?

Postby cmp9076 » October 19th, 2010 9:15 pm

I was thinking reading some German children's books might be helpful. I would particularly be interested in reading some fairy tales in German, since I love fairy tales and folklore anyway and some of the best known ones come from Germany. I figure books written for children will use simple language easy for beginners to understand, as well.

Also, when I was a child and trying to learn to do crossword puzzles like my grandmother, my father bought me some very helpful crossword puzzle books designed for young children -- they would tell a short story, like a fairy tale, and then the clues would be questions about what was in the story, and the answers would be the words to be written into the puzzle. It was great for vocabulary and reading comprehension, and also gave me the pleasure of being able to complete a crossword puzzle (I got VERY frustrated, at the age of 6 or 7, trying to do my grandmother's adult puzzles!!!!)

Anyway, I don't know how to find such books. Where can I buy them, or maybe there is a German children's website that would have such things posted for free?

Thanks!

Christine

straik
New in Town

Good German Children's Author

Postby straik » October 24th, 2010 5:41 pm

I recommend Manfred Mai! I read my kids "Die schönsten 1 2 3 Minutengeschichten" which is great for learning German.

Here's more: http://www.amazon.de/Manfred-Mai/e/B001 ... r_dp_pel_1

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
cmp9076
New in Town

Postby cmp9076 » October 25th, 2010 1:25 pm

Vielendank! I will definitely look up this writer and his books, thank you so much!

Christine

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”