Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Seit ein paar Stunden

bootheryan
New in Town

Seit ein paar Stunden

Postby bootheryan » June 11th, 2010 11:08 pm

Hello. Another declension question for you wonderful people out there im deutschen Sprachraum. In Intermediate Lesson S2 #31 - Sometime, Somewhere in Germany, This Could Happen to You! there are yet again a few declensions that I just don't understand. They are:

1. Ich habe seit ein paar Stunden extreme Bauchschmerzen. I thought that seit triggered a dative ending. Why is ein not einem?

2. Was für ein Schmerz ist es? My dictionary says that Schmerz is a masculine noun. Why isn't it written as Was für einen Schmerz?

3. Haben Sie irgendwelche anderen Symptome bemerkt? Why is it anderen and not andere?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » June 12th, 2010 8:18 pm

1. Bauchschmerzen is plural so it wouldn't figure anyway. "Ein paar" is an expression that doesn't change.

2. This is Nominative, "einen" would be Accusative". "Schmerz" is the subject of the phrase.

3. -en is the bland ending for Accusative plural. The key ending -e was already used up in "irgendwelche".

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
bootheryan
New in Town

Postby bootheryan » June 12th, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm glad that I asked. All I recall learning is that after für comes the accusative. Is Was für another fixed phrase that doesn't follow the rules?

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » June 13th, 2010 6:43 am

"Was für ein" means "what kind of". It's a set expression, indeed.

The case depends on the role that the whole phrase (e. g. "was für ein Mann") will play in the sentence.

Was für ein Mann tut so etwas? = What kind of man would do such a thing? (subject, Nominative)
Was für einen Mann suchst du? = What kind of man are you looking for? (direct object, Accusative)
Was für einem Mann gibst du das? = To what kind of man are you giving that? (indirect object, Dative)
Mit was für einem Mann gehst du aus? = With what kind of man are you going out? (Dative after preposition)

bootheryan
New in Town

Postby bootheryan » June 13th, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks again for the clarification, especially for the examples at the end.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”