Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Bitte, - Was ist "Schoen dass es dich gibt"?

wilson
New in Town

Bitte, - Was ist "Schoen dass es dich gibt"?

Postby wilson » June 2nd, 2010 4:48 pm

Bitte, kannst du mir helfen. Ich sitze hier und versuche in meine gedanken was das folgen bedeutet. Es kommt in ein Karte zu mein Frau von unser freunde nach Heidelberg.
Diese worte -" Schoen dass es dich gibt." Ist das gleich wie (Schoen dass du bist da). Ich weiss dass das wort "gibt" bedeutet zu geben etwas zu jemand. I am unable to clearly understand from a translation site, seems more like beauty that is given you. gibt es = there is or there are; es gibt = it gives. Can you refer me to a lesson in order that I might understand better. This is difficult for me because of the use of the word gibt and the word order itself. I suppose that if you could just translate "Schon dass es dich gibt" then I will know for sure as to the proper translation and will go back to the earlier studies.
Wann du hast die zeit,
vielen Dank!

Donald

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » June 2nd, 2010 8:22 pm

You almost got it. This is the same "es gibt" that means "there is / there are". Don't be fooled by the changed word order, that's just an indicator of it being in a subclause ("dass" starts a subclause).

So the phrase "Schön dass es dich gibt" literally means "Nice that there is you" - nice that there is such a thing as you. I guess it's comparable to "Schön dass du da bist", but this one is more basic, joy at the very existence of the person, no matter where he is.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
wilson
New in Town

Postby wilson » June 3rd, 2010 2:20 pm

Ich schatzen deine helfe, sehr viel
Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Donald

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”