Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

working in Germany

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

August 4th part 2

Postby lamar1 » August 7th, 2008 10:47 am

Well, I have returned back to Germany. I am currently staying with my fiancée. I am diligently looking for a job. I am looking for government jobs on base or perhaps at an US Embassy.

julianight
New in Town

Postby julianight » January 25th, 2009 6:08 am

Lamar, did you manage to find a job?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
JackG
New in Town

Postby JackG » February 20th, 2009 9:42 am

I was offered a job in Germany and I'm really considering taking this opportunity but I have a serious question. Is there something like those 401K private pension plans in the US available in Germany or how does this whole thing work over there? Thank you very much in advance for the answers.
The world is a book and who doesn't travel reads only a page.

Irish_Vandal
New in Town

Student Visa vs. Work Visa

Postby Irish_Vandal » August 2nd, 2009 7:07 am

Hi Chuck and everybody!

I'm working on plans to study abroad in Germany throughout all of 2010, but I kind of came across a visa snafu that I hope somebody might be able to help me with.

My question is: If I have a student visa, and I am taking courses in both the Spring and Fall sessions...is it ok for me to look around for a job during the summer? Or do I need a work visa as well?

If I need a work visa, that will probably throw a wrench in some of my plans.

Thanks for any and all help you can give! Germanpod101.com rocks! :D

`Austin

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » August 11th, 2009 11:50 pm

Jack, as an employee you are automatically part of the government's pension plan, which is guaranteed to give you enough to live off of in old age independent of how long you paid into it. However, it is generally recommended that you also put some money aside yourself. For that you should talk to your bank, they have a variety of options, some of which are subsidized by the government. As a freelancer you can opt into the government's pension plan or you can do 100% private.

Austin, students typically take jobs during the summer or even during the semester, but as a foreigner on a student visa you must not work more than 90 work days per year, otherwise they think you're here mostly to work ;-)

woodstock13
New in Town

Postby woodstock13 » October 7th, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello is there anz one on??/

woodstock13
New in Town

Postby woodstock13 » October 7th, 2009 5:44 pm

Is Chuck on line?

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » March 16th, 2010 12:57 am

Sorry for reviving a dead thread here, but kinda curious...

I'm looking to move to Germany from the US. Trying to build up the language skills some and refresh some of my tech certs. About looking for a job in Germany, is it easier to just go there then look or is it better if I look first and have a job to go to when I land?

Unlike a lot of the people I see asking this I'm not a student, i'm 30 years old and already have 14 years experience in the IT/IS fields (Info Tech/Info Sec) Primarily in financial Institutions (AMEX/and a national Bank). Currently hold several tech certs, such as A+/Net+/MCSE/CISSP while I did go to college - it was for a completely unrelated field (3D Animation and Video Production) So I'm not sure if that's a major hinderance at all either. <edit> To clarify, I do not have a related degree to my experience</edit>

Combination of the working environment, wages, and time off are all too enticing to not go. I'm mostly looking for the best way to go about it. Essentially I'm tired of working 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week and not getting anything in return for it.

Irish_Vandal
New in Town

Postby Irish_Vandal » March 16th, 2010 6:56 am

I would definitely try to set up some interviews before arriving in Germany. That way you can test the water in different German cities to see which one you'd most likely end up in. The job market can vary quite a bit from field to field and in city to city.

With your background, I would recommend checking out Hannover in Lower Saxony. It's the home of CeBit, the largest IT/Tech expo in the world.

Also, brush up your German skills as quickly as you can. First impressions are big, and it'd be a big help if you could reasonably communicate in German without having to rely on only speaking in English.

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » March 16th, 2010 10:10 am

Awesome! Will check that out. I'm planning on being out there possibly spring/summer of next year. I'm heading out to Germany for the first time in about a week and spending 3 weeks there. The plan with that is to check out the different cities and see where I'd likely end up. And, to get some practical practice in speaking :D

I kinda knew about the language thing, I've been told in a more or less scare tactic sort of fashion that in order to work there I'd need to build up the language skills. To the point that even having an accent would be unacceptable in some circles.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » March 16th, 2010 11:11 am

Setting up interviews beforehand is definitely recommended, because you can only stay in Germany as a "tourist" for a limited amount of time before you have to get a work visa.

Frankfurt is where all the big banks are, but it's the least European of all cities. Munich is where the big IT companies are. Berlin is also very big in IT, but mostly IT start-ups and freelancers.

Tim Ferris identified Berlin as one of the best places to live if you can get a job here or work remotely. Cost of living is remarkably cheap here (better than in much smaller towns in other parts of Germany or even in Poland) and yet quality of life is very good. Chuck does not regret leaving New York City.

By the way, the bigger the city, the less likely you'll need good German.

Germans are a bit less likely to accept experience in stead of formal qualifications, so prepare some arguments for that in your job applications and interviews.

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » March 16th, 2010 11:29 am

I take that to mean qualifications only means university degree? Industry certifications would be overlooked? Even for the CISSP, a full degree only knocks 1 year of experience requirement (5 years required experience) It's an advanced cert that's difficult to get, and must be maintained otherwise it expires. Admittedly, this is an information security certification though.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » March 17th, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, Germans assign more importance to a university degree than Americans do. On the other hand, it doesn't matter much WHERE you got the degree, as there are no big differences in Germany.

Industry certifications are important too, though, I'd definitely summarize that under Qualifications as well.

What I means is that Germans believe more in "I have a certificate saying I can do this" rather than "I have done this for a few years".

JustinBrady
New in Town

Postby JustinBrady » December 25th, 2010 5:59 pm

I've been looking into this for a long time, but I can't seem to find any information that is helpful. How difficult would it be for an American to find work in Germany with a Bachelor's in English Degree, a Master's Degree in Rhetoric, and TESOL certification? It seems like every time I look, there's another requirement (like CELTA?) I have 3 years teaching school English in America, but I really would be happier teaching English as a second language.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”