Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

working in Germany

chuck
New in Town

working in Germany

Postby chuck » March 23rd, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi, this is Chuck Smith from Germanpod101.com and I live in Berlin. I've worked in Germany for the past two years, so if you have any questions about living and working in Germany, how work visas work, etc., feel free to ask!

jchack
New in Town

Postby jchack » May 1st, 2008 2:46 am

I often have to work in Austria and I am finding it difficult to deal with the cultural differences. For instance my Austrian co-workers seem very pessimistic and when I am optimistic about a possible outcome or am willing to take risks, I am seen as a cowboy.

Have you encountered anything like this or am I just crazy? :)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
chuck
New in Town

Postby chuck » May 1st, 2008 6:19 am

jchack wrote:I often have to work in Austria and I am finding it difficult to deal with the cultural differences. For instance my Austrian co-workers seem very pessimistic and when I am optimistic about a possible outcome or am willing to take risks, I am seen as a cowboy.

Have you encountered anything like this or am I just crazy? :)

I have found in general that Germans tend to be more pessimistic than Americans. However, since I deal with cutting-edge web technology at work, I tend to have coworkers who know the Silicon Valley culture and so in this regard more optimistic than typical Germans. You might find the book German Dream: Träumen für Deutschland by Wolfgang Blau very interesting. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but from what I understand, it covers this detail of optimism and the divide between Silicon Valley and Germany thinking quite well. Of course, I don't really know much about Austria at all, so not everything there may apply to your situation. :)

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Living in Gemany-What Should I do first?

Postby lamar1 » July 7th, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey, I am really enjoying the German101 podcast. I listen to it everyday! I am currently engaged to a German lady and I am American. I met her whilst I was in the military. I recently got out of the military and I am wanting to move back to Germany. My German linguistic abilities are not so good right now but, i am still learning. I would like to live and work in Germany with plans to marry her. Is it possible to get a job in Germany that does not require me to have a full knowledge of the Deutsch language? I must learn the language. Lol. I'd like to be able to communicate better with her family and socialize with other Germans. I love the German culture and the food is very good. Any suggestions?

-Quincy Lawrence

chuck
New in Town

Re: Living in Gemany-What Should I do first?

Postby chuck » July 7th, 2008 6:42 pm

lamar1 wrote:Hey, I am really enjoying the German101 podcast. I listen to it everyday! I am currently engaged to a German lady and I am American. I met her whilst I was in the military. I recently got out of the military and I am wanting to move back to Germany. My German linguistic abilities are not so good right now but, i am still learning. I would like to live and work in Germany with plans to marry her. Is it possible to get a job in Germany that does not require me to have a full knowledge of the Deutsch language? I must learn the language. Lol. I'd like to be able to communicate better with her family and socialize with other Germans. I love the German culture and the food is very good. Any suggestions?

-Quincy Lawrence

Hi Quincy,

Great to hear you're enjoying our podcast! Probably the easiest job you could get in Germany would be teaching English. However, you would probably need training in English as a Second Language (ESL) to do that here. If your girlfriend lives in a big city, your chances of being able to get a job in English are much better. In some companies, they like to have a native English speaker around, especially if they also do work with the American or British market. If I knew more about your experience and where you plan to live, I would be able to help you further.

Also note that if you work for a salary at the same company for two years without interruption, you can be entitled to get a work visa independent of employer. After five years working in Germany, you can then be entitled to get a permanent work visa.

Viel Glück!
Chuck

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Vielen Dank Herr Smith!

Postby lamar1 » July 8th, 2008 6:13 pm

Thank you for you help. That sounds like a really good idea. But, I was wondering why would I need ESL training as an American? The last podcast titled, "Don't be left out of conversations", helped me better understand the education system. My fiancée isn't very god with explaining things to me in English. lol. She gets frustrated. I will do what it takes to be with her. I do not have too much experience. I was in the military for a while and I am 22 years old. Before that, I was in school majoring in Architecture. I was hoping to continue this Major education however, if I have to wait and find something that would allow me to take care of my fiancée, then I will do that. Should I do ESL training efore I come to Germany or after I get there? Or should I ask is it possible to do this training in Germany?

Mit Freundlichen Grüßen,

Quincy L.

chuck
New in Town

Re: Vielen Dank Herr Smith!

Postby chuck » July 9th, 2008 8:08 am

Just because you speak native English doesn't mean you know how to teach it. ESL courses help you learn how to teach English as well as giving you a certificate you can use to prove your ability when looking for jobs abroad. I would recommend doing this training before flying overseas (especially since the course should be cheaper since the dollar is weak against the euro). Also, from what I heard from others who took the course, clear your schedule for it. It's generally an intensive 3-week course that eats up all your time.

Since you've studied some architecture, you might also want to try to find other professional architects where you plan to move. You might also just find someone who wants to hire you, so he can practice his English with you on the job. Who knows? In any case, you have three months to find a job before your "automatic" tourism visa runs out.

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Good Idea

Postby lamar1 » July 10th, 2008 12:02 pm

Hey thank you Chuck. That is a very good idea. I will do some research today on what colleges offer the ESL courses. It would be nice to have the ability to teach others how to do something. If I was to become an Architect, I would like to have a program for people of all ages that would be dedicated to teaching the art of Architecture. First thing first, take the course that you suggested, then get back to Germany and find a job. I really thank you and I will continue to listen to this excellent Podcast.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Re: Good Idea

Postby Sprachprofi » July 10th, 2008 12:43 pm

lamar1 wrote:Hey thank you Chuck. That is a very good idea. I will do some research today on what colleges offer the ESL courses. It would be nice to have the ability to teach others how to do something. If I was to become an Architect, I would like to have a program for people of all ages that would be dedicated to teaching the art of Architecture. First thing first, take the course that you suggested, then get back to Germany and find a job. I really thank you and I will continue to listen to this excellent Podcast.

Hey,

ESL training, or any training for native speakers to become language teachers, will hopefully teach you three things:
- what do foreigners find difficult in your language
- why things are as they are (e. g. why is it "he runs" instead of "he run"); what rules can be found to explain this and other things -- learners usually don't "feel" what is correct, and rules allow them to rationally determine what is correct, so that makes up for not feeling it
- how to speak your language better
- how to teach (general rules and tips, not just for ESL)

If you feel that your training doesn't cover any of these topics well, there are plenty of websites that can help you, too, or you could do a couple tutoring sessions with immigrants even while you are still in the states.

Once in Germany, it will probably be easy to find tutoring students, especially at the advanced level, and they don't necessarily require you to have an ESL certificate. However, to get a permanent visa you can't rely on these odd jobs, you need to be employed (at least 20 hours a week), so I'd look for a university or a language school and try to get a job there - for which you very probably will need a certificate.

Note that in Germany, teachers are seen as highly-qualified professionals (like an American would think of a dentist). This means that German teachers had to study 4-5 years at university, take an exam, do a couple probationary years, take another exam, and so on. It's harder to become a teacher in Germany than it is in the USA. In exchange, wages are significantly higher. So people may expect you to have a professor title or something before you're allowed to lecture at a school of architecture. If you want to do something like "Appreciating architecture" or "Architecture for dummies" however, the Volkshochschule may easily accept your lecture without requiring you to have formal qualifications. The Volkshochschule is a public institution offering classes in just about anything: self-help classes, pottery, Tai Chi, (a very dysmal teaching of) foreign languages, computer classes, introductory psychology... Their audience is mostly housewives and retirees.

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

thank you

Postby lamar1 » July 10th, 2008 4:05 pm

Wow! That is some great information. So if I wanted to become an English grammar teacher in Germany, do I need to have a 4 year degree from U.S or would a certificate in ESL suffice? I don't know Architecture well enough to teach it to someone else, it is my dream job to become an Architect.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Re: thank you

Postby Sprachprofi » July 10th, 2008 4:26 pm

lamar1 wrote:Wow! That is some great information. So if I wanted to become an English grammar teacher in Germany, do I need to have a 4 year degree from U.S or would a certificate in ESL suffice? I don't know Architecture well enough to teach it to someone else, it is my dream job to become an Architect.

Well, have a look at potential employers. For example the "Wall Street Institute" is a popular place to learn American English. Their requirements for teachers can be found at http://www.wallstreet-institute.de/karriere.php?id=155 and they don't list a completed degree as a requirement, but they would like you to have some ESL teaching experience - which you should start acquiring as soon as possible, even if it's just one student once a week ;-) . I noticed that some companies that send you abroad (like Google ads "teach English in Japan") require only a degree and no ESL training. For me, the idea of requiring some degree, without caring whether it's linguistics or biology, is pretty ludicrous. It's probably due to US colleges/universities having to teach general knowledge first, whereas German universities will focus immediately on your chosen subject area.

Don't forget to check what language schools are present in your girlfriend's city.

By the way, you can also enroll in a German university program and even get a temporary visa that way, however then you may have to prove that you're able to follow the lectures, which will be in German, or (later) that you're making progress towards your degree, passing exams and the like. Also, foreigners coming here to study may only work a limited amount of hours, which may not be enough to support yourself...

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Thank you once more

Postby lamar1 » July 10th, 2008 6:08 pm

Thank you very much for the information. I hope to find myself back in Germany before this Christmas. She and I had planned to be married before then. I will take your advice.

-Wünschen Sie mir Glück.

Quincy L.

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

August 4th part 1

Postby lamar1 » July 28th, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, On August 3rd I shall return to the airport for my departure to Germany. I will arrive in Frankfurt at approximately 1300 (GMT+0100). I am excited for what lies ahead. I will soon get married and start a new life in such a beautiful country.
Last edited by lamar1 on August 7th, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sprachprofi
Established Presence

Postby Sprachprofi » July 30th, 2008 8:46 pm

I wish you the best of luck, success and happiness in Germany. :D

lamar1
Been Around a Bit

Thank you

Postby lamar1 » July 31st, 2008 7:36 pm

Sprachprofi wrote:I wish you the best of luck, success and happiness in Germany. :D

Thank you so much. I am quite excited about my return to Germany! I miss meine (soon to be) Frau.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”