Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Instant Immersion German Levels I,II,III

bauchweh
New in Town

Instant Immersion German Levels I,II,III

Postby bauchweh » January 10th, 2010 5:18 pm

I got this program for Christmas and I must say that it is very disappointing. It is nice for beginners but I don't feel like it even reaches anywhere near an intermediate level, let alone advanced. It is supposed to cover all three levels. The Oscar Lake games is short & disappointing as well. I did however find a German game called Dirty-Split on a German website somewhere that is free to download and has lots of German speaking and shows the actual German words that are being spoken (toggles on/off). I would say this is definitely advanced German in the Dirty-Split freebie. It is a detective/murder mystery type game, somewhat similar to the old Leisure Suit Larry games. I'm also preparing to write a software program because I am so disappointed in all that is available. Luckily my wife is a German native and lived her whole life there. She will be doing all of the audio segments for me. I'll make it available when it is is finished late 2010.

trinidakota
New in Town

Re: Instant Immersion German Levels I,II,III

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 2:33 pm

bauchweh wrote:I got this program for Christmas and I must say that it is very disappointing. It is nice for beginners but I don't feel like it even reaches anywhere near an intermediate level, let alone advanced. It is supposed to cover all three levels. The Oscar Lake games is short & disappointing as well. I did however find a German game called Dirty-Split on a German website somewhere that is free to download and has lots of German speaking and shows the actual German words that are being spoken (toggles on/off). I would say this is definitely advanced German in the Dirty-Split freebie. It is a detective/murder mystery type game, somewhat similar to the old Leisure Suit Larry games. I'm also preparing to write a software program because I am so disappointed in all that is available. Luckily my wife is a German native and lived her whole life there. She will be doing all of the audio segments for me. I'll make it available when it is is finished late 2010.

It is very interesting that you brought that topic up on "instant immersion". I personally don't believe in such programs which claims that one can learn a language "instantly". I strongly believe that language learning is a process. In fact learning anything in order to master it properly, is a process and one has to take the time to develop naturally. Do you agree?
Some learn faster while others are able to learn at a slower pace, but those are individual adjustments one has to make in order to succeed in language learning. I think an "instant immersion" program like this is not always necessarily designed for individual learning needs.
There are many other helpful programs out there. I like the German pod 101 because it caters to all levels of learning and one has the ability to choose from these levels and grow.
:)
Last edited by trinidakota on January 20th, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
bauchweh
New in Town

Postby bauchweh » January 19th, 2010 2:51 pm

I agree somewhat although at one time I used some Instant Immersion audio tapes when I would take a bath and I learned alot of new ways (new for me) of saying things and also some new words. They didn't have explanations just the German phrase a couple of times and then the English translation. And it's funny that I still remember what I learned from them. My wife is a German girl :) but she really hates speaking German, dafur spreche ich Deutsch immer noch mit die Verwanden, beim email und Telefon. The best German I ever learned was 2 years of college German using the Wie Geht's 7th edition (by Dieter Sevin and Ingrid Sevin) college textbook. Covers years 1 and 2 and goes from total beginner to advanced. I still have the book (it's only about 5 years old) and refer to it on occasion. If you could find one used on Amazon I'd recommend it. New they are expensive (over 100 dollars).

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 3:43 pm

bauchweh wrote:I agree somewhat although at one time I used some Instant Immersion audio tapes when I would take a bath and I learned alot of new ways (new for me) of saying things and also some new words. They didn't have explanations just the German phrase a couple of times and then the English translation. And it's funny that I still remember what I learned from them. My wife is a German girl :) but she really hates speaking German, dafur spreche ich Deutsch immer noch mit die Verwanden, beim email und Telefon. The best German I ever learned was 2 years of college German using the Wie Geht's 7th edition (by Dieter Sevin and Ingrid Sevin) college textbook. Covers years 1 and 2 and goes from total beginner to advanced. I still have the book (it's only about 5 years old) and refer to it on occasion. If you could find one used on Amazon I'd recommend it. New they are expensive (over 100 dollars).

Thanks, however, I have a little concern with using older German books for learning German. (maybe your book isn't so old) but I bought a book recently for learning German which is still being sold without updates made to certain things. The book was first published in 1987 and little to no updates have been made to newer copies in order to adjust the changes in the German language.
For example...
the book uses Fräulein, daß (conjunction) instead of dass with 2 s'
I was told that those aren't correct in German any more.
So a beginner learning from an older book, can be misguided in a way. Perhaps even come across as offensive to Germans while speaking "Fräulein" to a young woman etc. Or what about, when writing formal letters using daß instead of the updated form dass.
The book that I am talking about comes with audio cds as well, and the materials doesn't come cheap. Although it is a good book for beginners like myself, updates should be made regularly to keep up with the changes in the language. The focus of this book is through natural assimilation. Which eases the tension and anxiety a little, when learning a new language. Unfortunately, to purchase expensive learning books/materials that are somewhat outdated can be a rather disappointing experience. How can we be aware of these updates if they are still selling outdated books for learning a language??
Do you have problems, as such, with your book?

cathrynm
New in Town

Old Language Material

Postby cathrynm » January 20th, 2010 2:07 am

You remind me. My father gave me a collection of language learning vinyl records that were lying around the garage. These things are vintage late 50's over 40 years old, and include German and Japanese, which are both in my list (and Russian and Italian, which are not). In the front they have the same marketing blurb that language courses use today. "Learn naturally like you did as a child, without studying grammar, but absorbing language naturally." Blah, blah, blah.

I've listened through the German records, and actually I think they're okay. I'm not sure if I'll be stuck in the Eisenhower administration era German or not, but I suppose I'll take this chance. The records are all German and have absolutely no English on them at all. They are kind of boring, though they're just hard enough for me, where I can use my dictionary to pick up what I don't understand.

Any claims that say they'll take you to to advanced level sounds like marketing hype to me. From intermediate to advanced, I figure we'll want to be listening to native material anyway.

trinidakota
New in Town

Re: Old Language Material

Postby trinidakota » January 20th, 2010 4:32 am

cathrynm wrote:You remind me. My father gave me a collection of language learning vinyl records that were lying around the garage. These things are vintage late 50's over 40 years old, and include German and Japanese, which are both in my list (and Russian and Italian, which are not). In the front they have the same marketing blurb that language courses use today. "Learn naturally like you did as a child, without studying grammar, but absorbing language naturally." Blah, blah, blah.

I've listened through the German records, and actually I think they're okay. I'm not sure if I'll be stuck in the Eisenhower administration era German or not, but I suppose I'll take this chance. The records are all German and have absolutely no English on them at all. They are kind of boring, though they're just hard enough for me, where I can use my dictionary to pick up what I don't understand.

Any claims that say they'll take you to to advanced level sounds like marketing hype to me. From intermediate to advanced, I figure we'll want to be listening to native material anyway.

You say the word "vinyl" and I think"vintage". (ok kidding)
That is interesting though. I agree with you on the marketing hype.
I think adults can comprehend a lot more differently about a language than a child can absorb it "naturally" ; because we already can speak a language and can comprehend somewhat the mechanics, per say, of the structure of a mother tongue language. I am sure with a little more work on a foreign language, it can get easier to comprehend as well. (understanding Grammar, vocabulary etc)
I think a child learns the language best when around adults who speak it. They see actions and hear words for most of the day. Their little heads are like a sponge. If an adult (or someone else for that matter) say or do something (in German for instance), then the child see the action and associate it with the words etc.
I don't think any recording of a language is the only source or have that same effect of learning a language naturally like some of these programs claim. (Hence, my agreement with you). Perhaps pictures would help some, but it still wouldn't be as effective. That is why one would resort to a dictionary for further assistance.
Furthermore, in order for someone (an adult) to learn a language "naturally" one would have to immerse themselves into that foreign language for a substantial amount of time throughout their day.
I would say almost 80% of one's time would have to be into the actual foreign language environment (audio including speaking) to absorb it. This is where one could acquire better skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Reception and production of the language becomes the key. It is like an input and output system of the brain which becomes natural.

timwilde
Been Around a Bit

Postby timwilde » February 14th, 2010 10:17 am

trinidakota: If you are looking for books, something that should be mentioned in the books features or selling points is that it "follows the German spelling reform of 1998" or "die Rechtschreibung"

Most books that are revised to follow the spelling reform will be modern, or at least at most only 12 years old.

The book I ended up with is "German in Review: Lehrbuch der Deutschen grammatik" by Kimberly Sparks and Van Horn Vail. It was written in 2004. It was an expensive ($90) purchase and It was well beyond my abilities when I picked it up. The book itself was also disappointing as (unbeknownst to me) the German in the title is exactly what the book is. There's very little vocabulary in the book as the primary, and really only, focus is proper grammar. Now that I've raised up to the proper levels, this book has been invaluable for helping me understand German grammar. I'd definately recommend it to any intermediate learner.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”