a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Darf ich vorstellen.........

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 25th, 2010 12:03 pm

Salivia Baker wrote:gern geschehen
(you're welcome)

If you have other questions just post them in the forum. And keep practising your German :)

Danke.
I have one question that has been bothering me all week. I can't seem to figure it out. I am a bit confused with "can't and couldn't" in the German form.
For example I am not sure if... "Ich habe es nicht sagen können" mean "I couldn't say it" or "I can't say it".
What are different German forms for "could" and "can"?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Vielen Dank! :)

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 25th, 2010 3:23 pm

Mh that is a bit tricky.
können is the verb in infinitive and resembles can. I give you the declination in the present to make the difference more visible.
Ich kann
Du kannst
Er/sie/es kann
Wir können
Ihr könnt
Sie können

können used as could.
Ich könnte
Du könntest
Er/sie/es könnte
Wir könntet
Ihr könntet
Sie könnten

Your example "Ich habe es nicht sagen können" translates as "I wasn't able to say it"
Ich kann dann das nicht = I am not able to. That is why you use a form of können here.

I know it is not directly what you asked but I must admit I cannot explain this. It is something you just know how to use as a native speaker.
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 25th, 2010 3:26 pm

Salivia Baker wrote:Mh that is a bit tricky.
können is the verb in infinitive and resembles can. I give you the declination in the present to make the difference more visible.
Ich kann
Du kannst
Er/sie/es kann
Wir können
Ihr könnt
Sie können

können used as could.
Ich könnte
Du könntest
Er/sie/es könnte
Wir könntet
Ihr könntet
Sie könnten

Your example "Ich habe es nicht sagen können" translates as "I wasn't able to say it"
Ich kann dann das nicht = I am not able to. That is why you use a form of können here.

I know it is not directly what you asked but I must admit I cannot explain this. It is something you just know how to use as a native speaker.

Thank you for your help. I understand it better now. :D

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 25th, 2010 3:42 pm

Immer wieder gerne.
(~you're always welcome. lit. always again gladly/willingly)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”