Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Darf ich vorstellen.........

daibadger1
New in Town

Darf ich vorstellen.........

Postby daibadger1 » December 29th, 2009 11:17 am

Guten Tag, Meine name ist Dai unt ich wohne in Wales.Wie geht es inhen?

RSepp
New in Town

sehr gut

Postby RSepp » December 30th, 2009 4:51 pm

Danke fur fragen. Ich heisst Ryne Muller. Ich komme aus Amerika. Wieviele Lektionen haben Sie beendet?

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 30th, 2009 6:27 pm

Guten Abend. Ich bin eine Deutsche. Darf ich einige Verbersserungsvorschläge machen?

(Good evening I am a German Woman. May I suggest some corrections?)

The title should be Darf ich mich vorstellen (may I introduce myself) instead of Darf ich vorstellen (may I introduce [used if you someone/something else])

RSepp wrote:Danke fur fragen. Ich heisst Ryne Muller. Ich komme aus Amerika. Wieviele Lektionen haben Sie beendet?

Danke fur fragen = Danke für die Frage.
(if you cannot write the Umlaut ü write ue instead or Ue if it's capitalized).
Since daibadger1 only wask one question you stay in singular. Frage not Fragen. And you need to use an articie after für. Either Danke für die Frage or Danke für deine Frage. danke für eine Frage would be technically possible but sounds very weird since you always have one question you refer to.
The sentence for plural (Fragen) is: Danke für die Fragen / Danke für deine Fragen.

Ich heisst Ryne Muller => Ich heiße Ryne Muller.
heisst is the third person singular of heißen (er/sie/es heißt). I give you all the persons in the present tense of heißen.
Ich heiße
Du heißt
Er/sie/es heißt
wir heißen
Ihr heißt
Sie heißen
(instead of ß you may also write ss)

Wieviele Lektionen haben Sie beendet?
This is not wrong. But it sounds not like natural German. A German may say "Wieviele Lektionen haben Sie bereits gemacht?" German like to add bereits (already) in this case to indicate it is a process that will go on and you just give a status report. And we do not "finish" lessons we machen (do) them.
Or "Bei welcher Lektion sind Sie (jetzt)?" => Where are you (now) in your studies? (it not a word by word translation, sorry. but I think that would be wrong English then).

I hope that was more helpful then confusing :?
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

RSepp
New in Town

Postby RSepp » December 30th, 2009 11:25 pm

Excellent!
I'm up to Newbie #5 :shock: I tried to throw some Newbie#2 at you. Also(Auch) thought you had to post in German on these forums so I sprinkled in some Google translator, ha.
I promise to re-read your post when I catch up to it, lol.

p.s. I knew a way to type using umalats but I have since forgotten. Any reminders out there for me?

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 31st, 2009 1:46 am

Man sollte schon in Deutsch schreiben, aber es wäre doch etwas zuviel verlangt bei solchen Erklärungen.
hier sind die Regeln.

You should write in German, but that would be too much to ask with such explanations.
here are the rules

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 18th, 2010 2:52 pm

RSepp wrote:Excellent!
I'm up to Newbie #5 :shock: I tried to throw some Newbie#2 at you. Also(Auch) thought you had to post in German on these forums so I sprinkled in some Google translator, ha.
I promise to re-read your post when I catch up to it, lol.

p.s. I knew a way to type using umalats but I have since forgotten. Any reminders out there for me?

Hello. For typing the German umlauts on your American Keyboard there is a way to change it from an American to German keyboard with just switching your language settings in the control panel of your computer.

Here is what you can do...
at the START button, go into CONTROL PANEL
From there open REGIONAL AND LANGUAGE OPTIONS
then click the LANGUAGE tab in that window
under text services and import languages there is a button that says DETAILS click it and another window will open
select the SETTINGS tab
under the DEFAULT IMPUT LANGUAGE there is a drop down menu that allows you to change your default language for your keyboard.
(I have my settings in American English - US. as a default for when I start my computer)
Ok now back to that same window (SETTINGS tab)
below the default option you can import the German keyboard by clicking the ADD tab on the side and select German.
To see or switch between languages Click the LANGUAGE BAR and KEY SETTINGS tabs from that same window. It will then appear on your task bar and you can switch keyboards from there or from KEY SETTINGS commands.
(See language bar help in your computer for more details)

**Please note that the German Keyboard layout is a lot different from the American Keyboard layout. It could take a while to get adjusted to certain keys if you don't know where they are located. My advice would be to get a layout of a German Keyboard printed out and keep it close by your computer for practice typing and get familiarized with the keys.
I hope this helps.
Viel Spaß!

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 18th, 2010 5:36 pm

trinidakota wrote:**Please note that the German Keyboard layout is a lot different from the American Keyboard layout. It could take a while to get adjusted to certain keys if you don't know where they are located. My advice would be to get a layout of a German Keyboard printed out and keep it close by your computer for practice typing and get familiarized with the keys.

Yes it is. When I switch my German keyboard to American keyboard (which I have to do when I write in Japanese) I never find the right punctuation marks. To remember that z and y are switched is easy but all those other stuff.. oh my

On Wikipedia you can find the different layouts.
Link
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 12:48 pm

Salivia Baker wrote:
trinidakota wrote:**Please note that the German Keyboard layout is a lot different from the American Keyboard layout. It could take a while to get adjusted to certain keys if you don't know where they are located. My advice would be to get a layout of a German Keyboard printed out and keep it close by your computer for practice typing and get familiarized with the keys.

Yes it is. When I switch my German keyboard to American keyboard (which I have to do when I write in Japanese) I never find the right punctuation marks. To remember that z and y are switched is easy but all those other stuff.. oh my

Link

This is great...thank you...
:wink:

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 19th, 2010 1:04 pm

trinidakota wrote:This is great...thank you...

Gern geschehen
(you're welcome)

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 1:11 pm

trinidakota wrote:
Salivia Baker wrote:

Link

This is great...thank you...

Tut mir Leid, aber ich muß geschrieben auf Deutsch...Ich kann es versuchen oder?...
(Vielen Dank, das ist Toll!) :)

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 19th, 2010 1:27 pm

trinidakota wrote:Tut mir Leid, aber ich muß geschrieben auf Deutsch...Ich kann es versuchen oder?...

I am not sure what you mean. You are sorry that you didn't write in german or you are sorry that your write in German? Your German mixes forms so it is not clear. Maybe you can write it in German and then in English to clear up what you mean. That way I (or somebody else) can better help you :)

Im Ãœbrigen wird "toll" mit einem kleinen t geschrieben
(btw. "toll" is written with a small t")
Es ist ein Adjektiv. Es wird auch Wie-Wort gennt, weil man danach mit "wie" fragt. In diesem Fall: Wie ist es? toll
(It is an adjective. It is called "how-word" as well, because you ask for it with "how". In this case: How is it? toll

And for confusion: toll means "great" but in the past it was used as "crazy", insane. You find it used in that context in old plays/dramas for example.

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 1:51 pm

Salivia Baker wrote:
trinidakota wrote:Tut mir Leid, aber ich muß geschrieben auf Deutsch...Ich kann es versuchen oder?...

I am not sure what you mean. You are sorry that you didn't write in german or you are sorry that your write in German? Your German mixes forms so it is not clear. Maybe you can write it in German and then in English to clear up what you mean. That way I (or somebody else) can better help you :)

Im Ãœbrigen wird "toll" mit einem kleinen t geschrieben
(btw. "toll" is written with a small t")
Es ist ein Adjektiv. Es wird auch Wie-Wort gennt, weil man danach mit "wie" fragt. In diesem Fall: Wie ist es? toll
(It is an adjective. It is called "how-word" as well, because you ask for it with "how". In this case: How is it? toll

And for confusion: toll means "great" but in the past it was used as "crazy", insane. You find it used in that context in old plays/dramas for example.

Thanks for that. You are right I should have put the English too.
I was trying to say..."sorry, I should have written in German, I can try it..."
Then I wanted to say..."thank you, that is great!"
Thanks for clearing that up. I now understand how the word "toll" is used, I guess I've been using it wrong the whole time...lol :wink:

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 19th, 2010 2:36 pm

trinidakota wrote:Thanks for that. You are right I should have put the English too.

Ah now I understand. okay. The correct way is:
"Entschuldigung, Ich hätte es auf Deutsch schreiben sollen."
should have become hätte sollen in German. should = sollen, have = hätten (haben in the Konjunktiv II Present form). the construct is "hätte [verb in infinitive] sollen"
though for the other persons you have to conjugate hätte
Ich hätte [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Du hättest [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Er/sie/es hätte [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Wir hätten [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Ihr hättet [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Sie hätten [verb in infinitiv] sollen

The basic construct you have in your sentence is "ich hätte schreiben sollen" Schreiben as Verb in infinitive. But you are still missing "in German". In German you "surround" your sentence just like brackets do. That means you have to put everything else between those "brackets". In our case here it is hätte and sollen. "in German" has to go between them. And in front of the verb in infinitive because you describe the writing (it is in German)
And the whole sentence is then: Ich hätte auf Deutsch schreiben sollen"

That was probably very confusing :D

I can try it = Ich kann es versuchen is correct as it is

Thanks for clearing that up. I now understand how the word "toll" is used, I guess I've been using it wrong the whole time...lol :wink:

nah you haven't. toll = great. Your sentence was absolut correct (except for the typo)
that is great = das ist toll.

trinidakota
New in Town

Postby trinidakota » January 19th, 2010 3:05 pm

Salivia Baker wrote:
trinidakota wrote:Thanks for that. You are right I should have put the English too.

Ah now I understand. okay. The correct way is:
"Entschuldigung, Ich hätte es auf Deutsch schreiben sollen."
should have become hätte sollen in German. should = sollen, have = hätten (haben in the Konjunktiv II Present form). the construct is "hätte [verb in infinitive] sollen"
though for the other persons you have to conjugate hätte
Ich hätte [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Du hättest [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Er/sie/es hätte [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Wir hätten [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Ihr hättet [verb in infinitiv] sollen
Sie hätten [verb in infinitiv] sollen

The basic construct you have in your sentence is "ich hätte schreiben sollen" Schreiben as Verb in infinitive. But you are still missing "in German". In German you "surround" your sentence just like brackets do. That means you have to put everything else between those "brackets". In our case here it is hätte and sollen. "in German" has to go between them. And in front of the verb in infinitive because you describe the writing (it is in German)
And the whole sentence is then: Ich hätte auf Deutsch schreiben sollen"

That was probably very confusing :D

I can try it = Ich kann es versuchen is correct as it is

nah you haven't. toll = great. Your sentence was absolut correct (except for the typo)
that is great = das ist toll.

Wow! I don't think that I could have gotten a better explanation elsewhere. That was perfectly explained to me. It is very clear and it answers a lot of questions about how the German sentence structure functions.
Although there are a lot more things that I need to learn in German, I appreciate your help to make it so understandable.
So, thank you very much. :D

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » January 19th, 2010 5:29 pm

gern geschehen
(you're welcome)

If you have other questions just post them in the forum. And keep practising your German :)

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”