Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Favorite German Movies

jessie_t
New in Town

Favorite German Movies

Postby jessie_t » November 12th, 2009 7:20 am

Does anyone have any favorite German movies?

Here are some I recommend, I believe most can be found on Netflix in the U.S.

Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)
Auf der Anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven)
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
Die Fetten Jahre sind Vorbei (The Edukators)
Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run)
Im Juli (In July)
Kebab Connection

seantheshark
New in Town

Other movies

Postby seantheshark » December 30th, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Jessi...
Other movies from Germany that I feel are a "must see" are
Keinohrhasen (Rabbit without Ears) - it's a really well done romantic comedy. The main actor may seem familiar to you too as he's been in quite a few american movies. A man named Til Schweiger.

The movie's sequel is out in German right now Zweiohrküken...but i really prefer the first...it's a bit less cartoony.

For cartoony humor (like Scary Movie, Naked Gun style stuff) I think "Der Shüh des Manitu" "Manitou's Shoes" was just a riot. It's a comedy based on old spaghetti westerns. The word Manitou is actually a native american term meaning "Man of the Woods" or "Spirit of nature"

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Pandachan6228
New in Town

Postby Pandachan6228 » August 5th, 2010 6:08 pm

I think the movies "Die Welle" ("The Wave") and "Napola - Elite für den Führer" ("Napola - Hitler's Elite", aka Before The Fall") are really good. I've just watched them in german...

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 6th, 2010 3:49 pm

There are 2 other threads about German movies
German Movies in Food & Entertainment
and German movies in Resources & Reviews

I've already listed some suggestions there. :)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

JustinBrady
New in Town

Postby JustinBrady » December 25th, 2010 5:51 pm

I wish I could find some German children's films... or at least fantasy type films. It's hard to keep my friends interested in dramas and historical films.

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » December 25th, 2010 6:44 pm

I don't know that many (good) Kinderfilme (children's films).

Maybe Das fliegende Klassenzimmer based upon the novel by Eric Kästner. there are newer versions but I'd go with the one from 1954
I haven't seen it but it's suppose to be good. Die drei ??? – Das Geheimnis der Geisterinsel from 2007 and Die drei ??? – Das verfluchte Schloss from 2009. It's based on the juvenile detective book series The Three Investigators by Robert Arthur, which is very popular in Germany, especially the audio plays.

And of course Die unendliche Geschichte (the neverending story) from 1984 based on the novel with the same name.
You should be able to at least find this one.
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”