Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

topic to cover

skeeterbyte2nite4285
New in Town

topic to cover

Postby skeeterbyte2nite4285 » September 11th, 2015 10:47 pm

I have been through absolute beginner, beginner, advanced beginner and some of the intermediate and I have yet to hear this topic addressed:
Background--I know that there are masculine and feminine forms for occupations and for countries of origin like Arzt and Ärztin, Lehrer and Lehrerin, Amerikaner and Amerikanerin. And if there was more than one (for example) female doctor one would refer to them as die Ärztinnen or more than one male doctor, as die Ärzte.
Topic of interest--However, what has not, to my knowledge been addressed is how one would refer to a mixed group of male and female doctors, lawyers etc. Would one revert to the masculine plural form to encompass all, or would one have to refer to a mixed group of doctors ponderously as die Ärztinnen und die Ärzte. I would love to hear this addressed sometime. Thank you.
Stephen Roediger

german.innovative
New in Town

Re: topic to cover

Postby german.innovative » September 28th, 2015 6:34 am

Hallo Stephen,

Thank you for your comment and question! That is a very good question!

You can refer to them as the masculine plural. In some cases people might say "die Lehrerinnen und Lehrer" etc, however masculine plural is ok too, you cannot, however, refer to a mixed group as feminine plural.

I hope this helps!

Vielen Dank!

Clara
Team GermanPod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “German Lesson Suggestions”