B2
8%
C1
2%

Total votes: 92

steelafan36
Been Around a Bit

Postby steelafan36 » March 17th, 2009 5:20 pm

I can remember the words and pharases but the grammer is a mess!

LukeCarpenter
New in Town

Postby LukeCarpenter » March 17th, 2009 10:44 pm

I have been learning german for 7 years and i'm currently in my last year of school, so i'm not bad at german, but i'm not sure its the kind of german i need for when i go to Germany. I am going to university next year to study German, so hopefully i will be practically fluent after that = ]

Get 40% OFF
vmacdougal
New in Town

Postby vmacdougal » July 22nd, 2009 9:54 pm

Ich bin eine B1. Ich habe Deutsch in der Uni gelernt. Ich kann einfache Gespräche haben, aber ich kann nicht komplizierte Ideen erklären oder verstehen. Die Intermediate Lektionen hier sind für mich einfach, und die Advanced Lektionen sind für mich schwierig. Ich höre die Beide an, und sie helfen mir. Ich hoffe, daß meine Antworten helfen Ihnen!

(I am a B1. I learned German in college. I can have simple conversations, but I cannot explain or understand complicated ideas. The Intermediate lessons are easy for me, and the advanced lessons are difficult for me. I listen to both, and they help me. I hope that my answers help you!)

cathrynm
New in Town

I had 3 years of German in high school

Postby cathrynm » September 26th, 2009 8:40 am

But I'd rank my ability as A0, or less than A1. I just forgot it all, but I'm looking to try to recall some of it. I'm also studying Japanese, which is a higher priority for me now.

I find I don't remember even basic things, but I seem to be able to re-learn German words more easily than I can learn new Japanese words, which require massive flash card repetition to get to stick.

kravensbergen
New in Town

Postby kravensbergen » September 27th, 2009 5:50 pm

So glad to see I'm not the only "A" student! I understand a great deal of what I read (always need to improve vocabulary of course), but I still struggle with word order and get tongue-tied when trying to say anything. And, yes, understanding native speakers as they speak so quickly is difficult! Having little opportunity to practice with native speakers is also a problem. GermanPod, however, has been a fantastic way to learn and understand modern, conversational German. I look forward to continuing and improving!

woodstock13
New in Town

German Pod 101

Postby woodstock13 » October 16th, 2009 9:44 am

The pod cast are very helpful! I am an American working in a German company and the lessons has help me to speak and understand the language!

Thank you for your help and support!

cotongrl
New in Town

Postby cotongrl » December 5th, 2009 2:13 am

It depends... I'm basically an A1, but in certain areas I'm probably an A2. I have a German girlfriend so in "that" area I'm getting on toward a C. I can read and understand better than I can speak... partially due to shyness (I'm shy in English, too). Watching German movies via Netflix has helped me understand how the language sounds when spoken among Germans. I love GermanPod 101.

RSepp
New in Town

Postby RSepp » December 22nd, 2009 11:29 am

What comes before A1? Or am I to be disregarded until I can attain an A1 level? ha! I'm starting with the newbie lessons. I want to read German. If I learn to speak it along the way that will be sweet "auch".

sandra_nyc
New in Town

keep at it!

Postby sandra_nyc » December 24th, 2009 12:46 am

Hey guys I hope I can provide some motivation here... I started learning German for my own personal gain in May of 2008. In addition to taking a one-hour private lesson once a week, I began listening to GermanPod101.com at the same time, and have been meticulously listening to each podcast since then.

I have to say that both the tutoring and the podcasts combined have helped me tremendously and I can now hold a basic conversation all in German and also write basic sentences. It's a challenge, I won't lie to you, but once you start noticing patterns in the language these start to become more natural to you and eventually, part of your thought/speech process. (I even find myself thinking in German sometimes!)

Please don't feel discouraged if you start and get stuck... be patient (yet remain diligent!) and you will eventually pick up these patterns and word structures, and perhaps also find yourself wanting to read and speak everything that is German.

Thanks to you guys at 101 for helping me get started on my way to a third language.

Danke vielmals!!!
Tschussi,
~Sandra

cathrynm
New in Town

Before A1

Postby cathrynm » December 26th, 2009 7:25 pm

Yeah, there should be an option for pre-A1. I didn't answer, because I think at this point, I'm still not quite A1 level -- that I've forgotten a lot since high school, when maybe I was at the A1 level or so.

chris4285176
New in Town

Postby chris4285176 » May 30th, 2010 8:46 am

I think I am an A2. Since 2007, I've been on-and-off trying to teach myself German with books, songs, movies, and now podcasts (which are just great, by the way :) ) And I did live at a Hostel with a group of Germans for 6 months, which helped.

peptastic6579
New in Town

Postby peptastic6579 » May 29th, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm a beginner. I took high school German 15 years ago in high school. I know a few words but I forgot too much to classify myself as anything higher.
I'm starting from the beginning. I'd rather a repeat lesson then miss out.

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”