Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Meaning of Stelle

fritzad
New in Town

Meaning of Stelle

Postby fritzad » March 6th, 2011 6:08 am

I'm having a little trouble understanding the meaning and grammer of the following sentance. "Stelle Sie sicher, das Sie das Meeting jedem ankundigen, der dort da zu sein hat". I can't quite get the meaning of what's being said in the phrase Stelle Sie sicher. I don't understand Stelle! What does Stelle mean in this phrase. I assume this is a verb and if so why isn't the conjugation Stellen with an n at the end. Also in the last part of the sentance, don't dort and da both mean the same thing so it almost sounds like a german stutter. Why not just say "der dort zu sein hat" or "der da zu sein hat". :?

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » March 18th, 2011 5:22 pm

I find this sentence rather weird as well.
And it should be "Stellen" with an n when using Sie. it would be Stelle if you adress the other person as du.

the verb is sicherstellen = to make sure.

da can be used as hier or dort. If you say someone should be present we often use da sein. that's how it is used here. (just like you can say in english "to be there"). Dort is the meeting place, where people gather.
As you said, you can simply say "der da zu sein hat".
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Get 40% OFF
fritzad
New in Town

Postby fritzad » March 19th, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks a lot for your explanation Salivia it was quite good. I guess I'm so used to seeing sicher as a stand alone word, such as in "bist du sicher?" that it never occured to me that it was the seperable prefix part of the verb sicherstellen which I hadn't come across before. The differences between the usage and meanings of da and dort was also interesting. Thanks again.

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » March 19th, 2011 12:48 pm

gern geschehen. :)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”