Start Learning German in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Choosing between two words with the same meaning

kravensbergen
New in Town

Choosing between two words with the same meaning

Postby kravensbergen » July 22nd, 2009 7:45 pm

I have no doubt someone can answer this quickly and easily ...

First, "fertig" vs. "bereit" -- I know "abendessen ist fertig" means "dinner is ready," but I've heard that "bist du bereit?" means "are you ready?"

Next: In the recent Intermediate Lesson, I noticed "bereits" was used to mean "already" -- I already taught English in the States --- however, couldn't "schon" have been used? (ie: Ich habe schon Englisch unterrichtet.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karen

katzenfloh
New in Town

Postby katzenfloh » August 22nd, 2009 11:35 am

I am not a language teacher but I'll try to help you:
(better late than never)

"fertig" and "bereit" are often used in similar situations but they have not the same meaning.
"fertig" means more "something is already done" "preparation is finished" It is more connected to the past.
"bereit" means "you are able start with something" (because your preparations are finished) It is more connected to the future.

examples:
"Ich bin fertig." vs. "Ich bin bereit."

"Das Essen ist fertig." vs. (Caution!) you can not say: "Das Essen ist bereit." (perhaps, a meal is a thing and not able to do something ???) but you can say: " Das Essen steht bereit." The meaning is very similar in this case. I think "etwas ist fertig" is more common than "etwas steht bereit"

second question: You can use both.
"Ich habe bereits Englisch unterrichtet." and "Ich habe schon Englisch unterrichtet." have the same meaning.

I hope that helps more than confuses. :)

Get 40% OFF
Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 22nd, 2009 1:41 pm

(perhaps, a meal is a thing and not able to do something ???)

I would say you say es ist fertig because you have done the cooking. As in das Essen steht bereit you need the food to start eating.

As for schon and bereits I think schon is slightly more casual. But maybe that's just me
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

kravensbergen
New in Town

Postby kravensbergen » August 22nd, 2009 7:35 pm

Better late than never indeed! Thanks to both of you for your replies .... great to be able to get help through this forum ... hard to pick up on some of these subtleties of language ... very helpful!! Karen

Salivia_Baker
Established Presence

Postby Salivia_Baker » August 22nd, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes it is indeed. I have the same problem with English ;)
I think it's often the case that two words seem to be the same because there is only a slight difference in the meaning. But sometimes it's also just a way of speaking or one would sound a a bit more sophisticated (though that is not always a good thing).

I guess it's something you learn through experience or if you ask nice members of this forum ;)
"German is basically a Lego language - just take word blocks like Welt and Schmerz, smash them together, and you've got some real Weltschmerz. It may sound painful, but it can be practical." - Dan Hamilton

Return to “ General Discussion and Help Learning German”